Reader reviews and comments on Eldest, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book II

by Christopher Paolini

Aug 2005, 704 pages
    Mar 2007, 704 pages

There are currently 58 reader reviews for Eldest

Ad (07/27/06)

Something about anything
Before I start this review I would like to look at what other people have said. For just one moment of your time I would like to take you into other writers. Some people say that Mr. Poalini has stolen ideas from J.R.R Tolkein and Star Wars. I am yet to read some of those books, but at least let me say this much as far as I know. The other supposed 'great authors' are also theives and as the word here some people say also Theft.

Some questions to the people who call authors theives. Has the person in question counted every single book ever published? Has the person who calls some authors theives ever read every single book in excitence to the known date? I think I can go as far to the person answering no to each question that was there. You are probably asking Why did I ask you this? Am I right that you are asking yourself this? Well, I hope I am right, because I am going to tell you something. I am going to tell you a tale about stories if that is okay with you. This tale I will write now.

If the answer to those two questions was no, then that was the correct answer. That is correct, because every book that has ever been published don't excist. Did you know that every author steals from a book at one point in time? Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkein probaly stole from one book that they had read at one point in time? Well, yes is the answer to both of those questions. Yes, yes, and yes. The answer is yes, because all those books most likely have one thing or another in common. They might have in common a sentence, or they might have in common a land, or a plot. But, the point of these paragraphs is to tell you that all authors are theives in some way or another, even if you don't want to beleive it.

Now, back to Eldest. Eldest is a nice book that is filled with adventure, suspense, and has its ups and downs. I will admit that some of the stuff is a bit boring, or you can tell what happens next, but it is still a good book all in all. Also, I feel sorry for those who didn't finish the book, because if they didn't finish it they wouldn't know if the end and see if the end is good.
Ad (07/13/06)

A Truth
I rated this book a four, because it is one of the best books that I have read, but it is again dragons. I personally think dragons are a little bit overused in many books, but how Poalini portrays the dragons and their lives. I enjoy how Paolini knows his books and has a lot of politics. I mean he knows the religions in his book, he knows the people, he knows what happens everywhere in the world. I like that part of Eldest. What I don't like about it is the easy to see some of the stuff that is coming and that there isn't that much suspense. I do like and enjoy the back of both Eragon and Eldest the part where it says names and what they are. There, people, is A Truth about Eldest.
zach (05/09/06)

This, along with Eragon, was one of the best books i've read. the attitude of Saphira keeps it interesting along with Eargon's crush on a certian someone. the only major flaw in teh book is that there is a slow lagging part of Eragon's training and teh battle of Carvahall. other than that the book was good and i cant wait until the 3rd book in teh seris comes out.
k-man4 (04/26/06)

Great Book!
In Eldest Paolini does a superb job. The begining is a bit slow but the ending was better that Eragon's. Not as good as Eragon and without Eragon is worthless. Paolini is a young author with much talent and i hope that he keeps writing books for a very long time. Great for any age but especially for young readers. I am dieing to read the next book!!!
may (03/30/06)

Eldest along with Eragon are two of the best books in the world. I have read hundreds probably thousands of books. No i'm not kidding in my room at home I have a minumum of 300 books the last time i counted. I know a good piece of writing when i see it. Now then Christopher Paolini captivates you in this upturning emotional second installement in the inheritance trilogy. Eldest will be a classic and proposed as one of the best written fantasy books in history. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if anyone reads this review i highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. I also recommend the only books that are better than these two which are those written by Tamora Pierce. Also fans the third inheritance trilogy book if you had not heard will be called Empire. you can also see a trailor at for Eragon. bye now i'll probably be back.
Grey (03/24/06)

Fairly decent
I've read most of the reveiws for both this and eragon, an while I did notice a couple of similarities between this book an the LOTR books, they didn't really bother me, i dont know about eragon, but there was certainly enough detail in Eldest, specifically that battle between Roran, the Villagers, and the Ra'zac. Yes there are also many similarities to Star Wars, eg Eragon is Morzans son. Yeh.....that was predictable from book one.......but still, I enjoyed the book alot, and, for the record I HAVE read LOTR, and many of R.A. Salvatores books, and also Phillip Pullmans His Dark Materials trilogy, and I enjoyed all of those, but that doesnt stop me from enjoying the simple adventure, magic, action, and story of Eragon and Eldest.
annoyed360 Mi (03/15/06)

This was the best book i have ever read.Paolini keeps you captivated in the second installment of the eldest trilogy.Eragon, Roran, and Saphira have matured very much from the last book.Roran is starting to become a leader and a man instead of a boy.Eragon is starting to understand the world of magic and becoming a powerful rider.While Saphira is starting to control the flame within. from Eka fricai un Shur'tugal
reader (12/30/05)

the book eldest was captivating, and very interesting. It contained several unique events all leading to a nicley based plot. Personally, my father thinks that blink was great. (i dont think so). but dont tell him. To conlude, the bad part was that there were chapters in which words should be omited. All in all I give it a four out of five.

• Book Jacket: Hag-Seed
    by Margaret Atwood
    There's a scene in The Tempest that many critics have concluded is indicative of Shakespeare&#...
  • Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.