Reader reviews and comments on Eldest, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book II

by Christopher Paolini

Aug 2005, 704 pages
    Mar 2007, 704 pages

There are currently 58 reader reviews for Eldest

Kelsey B. (05/23/07)

Eldest Reccomendation
I highly recommend reading Eldest and, preferably first, its prequel Eragon. Both books were absolutely fascinating. I just couldn't put them down. While reading Eragon and Eldest, I would look forward to finishing the books, yet I also felt I would regret finishing them because they were so enjoyable to read. Christopher Paolini is a very talented writer, as he demonstrates in the first two highly successful books of his Inheritance trilogy, and I expect his last book of the trilogy will be the best yet. I am really looking forward to the last book coming out. I can't wait to read it and re-enter the exciting and wondrous world of Alagaesia.
Jess (05/20/07)

Eldest is a FANTASTIC book, and a GREAT sequel to Eragon. I think that all Lord of the Rings fans should read this book, but READ ERAGON FIRST!
ann (05/12/07)

I can relate
I absolutely love this trilogy. all the books ROCKED. But I think I can relate to Eragon because I have trouble with my knees and if I strain them they give out then I am on crutches for like a month it's happened once on my left twice on my right.
Ashley Bateman-Lee (05/09/07)

The best author
Christopher Paolini is the best author! I read both of his books and I am anxiously awaiting his third. The way he constructs his sentences and his descriptions are so precise! I can't wait to see what problem he helps Eragon and Saphira with next.
Wigity Man Halo 2 master. (05/03/07)

The must have for a lonely person looking for fantasy.
This book by all means is great,not in just my opinion but also the majority of the people who reviewed this book. So what if the book has a 2 side plots, or Hey those names are stolen. Hell if u wrote a book these days it would be quite rare to come with a badass name for a character, then all of sudden its plagirism WTF. CMON ppl think. Ideas are being used up everyday, and with this book it makes no exception, but the thing that got me interested was the fact that, the things u do in life reflect others. And the fact u can talk to a dragon through your thoughts with it understanding u and nobody noticing, just think about it what if u can talk to a exotic creature such as a dragon and be bestowed amazing power only a chosen few have (yes this idea has been used before so bite me) so others may envy u, quite a thought eh. Well anyhowo this book belongs in your collection especially if your a lonely person looking for fantasy. Or talking to a female lizard.
mmfantasy (05/02/07)

Just O.K.
Perhaps it was a case of 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' rather than just plain old 'rip off'.
Having read everything from LOTR (beginning Sept. 22 annually and starting with 'The Hobbit) through the Silmarillion, ALL of Ursula LeGuin, ALL of Terry Brooks and everything else from Marion Zimmer Bradley and Katherine Kurtz through Stephen King's Dark Tower, I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable in the genre. (Lest anyone think I read only fantasy, I also enjoy everything from Hesse, Dickens - the classics - to Robert Ludlum and Mary Higgins Clark) So I ask the question- was anyone else distracted from the story by the numerous similarities, borrowed names and basic story from many of the above mentioned ' fantasy' authors? Throw in a little 'Star Wars' with LOTR, the Shannara and Earthsea cycles and there you have 'Eragon' and 'Eldest'.
I know Christopher Paolini was a kid when he started these books but honestly, I think the publisher and editors should be ashamed. (But the almighty BUCK talks...and you-know-what walks) Note the character's name similarities: Eragon and Aragorn, Arya and Arha, there is even mention of a character named Ged as well as Galbatorix gaining control over Murtagh by using his and his dragon's 'true names'. How about the elven woman who 'sings' herself as part of the Menoa tree? Can you say 'Elfstones of Shanara'?
I give the book a 3 just for the kid's effort at such a young age. I give the adults surrounding Christopher Paolini a 0 in integrity because they allowed these books to be published. Kids will like the books and I guess that is alright if it gets them to read and expand their horizons, but as for Chris Paolini becoming his generation's equivalent to J.R.R Tolkien? Any one who believes that is a fool.
This book was at times very tedious and all in all disappointing and amateurish to say the least but understandable for a 15 - 19 year old.
Jesse Keller (04/28/07)

Good, But a Few Problems.
I believe that eragon and Eldest are great books and if anyone hasn't read them READ THEM! I have read Eragon 5 times and am in the process of reading Eldest for the 5th time. [edited to remove plot spoilers] I also think that the people who produced the movie "Eragon" did a really bad job. I was not impressed by the lack of knowledge about the book.
Linda (04/24/07)

Eragon Is More Than It Seems
I was a bit skeptical when it was suggested that I read Eragon, but being an avid bookworm I decided to give it a try. I found that although some would compare it to LOTR, Star Wars, etc., it was a fascinating story that kept me locked to the pages waiting to see what would happen next. I liked the idea that sometimes Eragon got caught, showing he was human after all. Keep in mind that I saw the movie prior to reading the book & thoroughly enjoyed it, that was the final factor to get me wanting to read the book. Although there are obvious differences between the movie and the book, I enjoyed them BOTH. I haven't had such a good read since the Harry Potter series. I can hardly wait to see what the sequel has in store!

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

by Paulette Jiles