Reader reviews and comments on Eldest, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book II

by Christopher Paolini

Aug 2005, 704 pages
    Mar 2007, 704 pages

There are currently 58 reader reviews for Eldest

Reader (04/18/07)

Magic
Paolini's writing strikes the souls of hundreds of children in a single day, probably even more, and I have not heard one ever say "I disliked that book". This is the literature of a pure genius, and sends readers plummeting into a world of wonder, excitement, and magic. Bravo!
Colleen (04/09/07)

Eldest-Murtagh
I think that Eldest is the best book I have ever read! The one thing I don't get is why Murtagh is who he is at the end of the story. I don't quite understand the whole ending yet. Don't get me wrong, I think that it is an awesome ending..... I just finished the book last night so I'm still trying to get the whole mess figured out. Actually, I think the ending is the best part of the book.....It gives the book a twist and it's really awesome.If that wasn't the end of the story, there wouldn't have been a 3rd book. Chris did an awesome job writing Eldest!. ..... No matter how things are going through my head right now,though,the last couple of chapters are the best yet!!!
(Note: Some spoilers removed - BB editors)
Ashlee O. (03/21/07)

GREAT GREAT AWSOMLY AMAZING OUTSTANDING
THIS IS A TRULY MAGICAL BOOK! During parts in the book I found myself holding my breath or grinning so much my jaw hurt, in parts it makes you want to laugh or even cry. I loved this book! Christopher Paolini is a phenomenal author! I don't want to wait till September to get the third book though! I'm so excited I just finished the book a few minutes ago! Eldest will leave you eager to read the third in the Inheritance Trilogy, which isn't out yet...grrr....We don't even know the name of it! Supposedly it's going to be Empire (six letters and starts with E) and there is supposed to be a turquoise green dragon on the front. I couldn't think of a better book for young adults such as myself or for anybody else who can read! This book left me gasping for breath...literally! I couldn't think of a better book to read....besides Eragon. I think until the third one comes out I am going to busy myself with reading them all over again.
chitta (03/21/07)

a really good book
As a reader I was really interested to know what happens to Roran and the people of Carvahall. I think author has very effectively described and portrayed Roran's situation that too not loosing track of the main character. All in all I think this one was better than Eragon.
meegan E (03/15/07)

worth the wait
Eldest was one of the greatest books I have read since the Harry Potter series came out. Polini made a great leap from his first book Eragon to this one. It is excellent and I wish him the best in writing the final installment of the trilogy. it was worth the wait and I shall be when then third novel hits bookstores. muy bueno. jaja
Jonathan H. (03/07/07)

It is one of the best books ever
Eldest is one of the best books ever. It is even better than The lord of the Rings. All of those that think not do not know much about literature. This book shall be a classic forever. This writer is very talented and shall write many great novels for many years to come.
angela fame sombero (02/09/07)

Eldest
Eldest is one of the great books I ever read it is actually the first book that I can really understand and actually the book is really nice... you can really enhance your ability to imagine a world full of magic even its like Harry Potter but its better than HP!
Brad (02/07/07)

Great book
I strongly resent the 2 ratings of 1 on the first page. For one the comment that Nasuada and Roran do not matter to the story is completely crazy. The story shouldn't just be about Eragon and Saphira, that would get incredibly boring. The views of other characters is important, compelling and have to do with the storyline. If Chris had not put in either story the book would have been completely different. Having Roran suddenly float down the river on the near-to-last page would have been lame, and for readers to understand what had happened to him there would have had to be a 50 page ending of him telling the story. I cant grasp why anyone would want a 600 page book about 2 characters, although for book one, 1 character was appropriate. The saying of parts of a book are unimportant means you could say Elva was also unimportant, but she is really a key part of the book. I enjoyed this book and have read it many times. One of my favorite to date. I recommend it
-Brad

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review