What readers think of A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 103 reader reviews for A Painted House

Judy Adkins

The Painted House
Just discovered author John Grisham . In reading most books, I always reach some parts of "boredom"and skip so many pages.

With "The Painted house",found myself totally engrossed !! Love the serious, the funny, down-to-earth of it all. My imagination sees it all as I read. Best book I have read in years !

Judy
Ashley H.

A Painted House
John Grisham's novel A Painted House is very unlike any of his other works and in that sense makes it a unique and interesting book.
This book is narrated by seven year old Luke Chandler. Luke lives on a cotton farm and during cotton picking months his family hires Mexicans and "hill people" to assist with the cotton picking. Within this entire group are a couple dangerous men and a beautiful girl, a killing is committed and rumors begin. Throughout these months Luke is forced to keep several secrets that could forever change the life of his family. Excerpts from book: "The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day." "The fight should've been over, but Hank had other plans. With delight and deliberation, he kicked each of them in their faces and heads until they stopped moving and groaning."
While reading A Painted House I was simply enthralled. It was an incredible read and I could not put it down. I have not been a fan of John Grisham novels, but A Painted House has somewhat changed my view on his writing. This book is not however a book for those of immaturity. A Painted House is a book that is meant for a mature audience that can appreciate the topic. I would recommend this book to any person that is in high school and has an open mind. I think that in writing this book Grisham was trying to say that he can write other gripping novels that don't revolve around lawyers and such, and with A Painted House he most definitely achieved that goal. This was an excellent book and I hope all that read it will enjoy it as much as I did.
shenae

this book is the best............... i just can't put it down
Grisham

A Very Good Book!!!!
Mike Underhill

Great coming of age story - very moving.
Guillermo Quintana

Very moving and entertaining. I loved it from the first page to the last.
Killa C

Some crazy stuff up in the fehezee
Averette Packard

"A Painted House" is a definite collection book. It is a book that you fall asleep with every night because you cant stop reading it. I read it for my summer reading book for school. I had a better summer by reading it. John Grisham is an exceptional author and I recomend this book for everyone!

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: The Women of Chateau Lafayette
    The Women of Chateau Lafayette
    by Stephanie Dray
    The Women of Chateau Lafayette, Stephanie Dray's latest work of historical fiction, revolves around ...
  • Book Jacket: Windhall
    Windhall
    by Ava Barry
    Ava Barry's debut mystery novel Windhall is centered around the salacious murder of a starlet named ...
  • Book Jacket: Libertie
    Libertie
    by Kaitlyn Greenidge
    Kaitlyn Greenidge burst onto the literary scene in 2016 with her award-winning novel, We Love You, ...
    Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982
    by Cho Nam-joo, Jamie Chang
    'Kim Jiyoung is thirty-three years old, thirty-four Korean age. She got married three years ago and ...

The Widow Queen
    by Elzbieta Cherezinska

The epic story of an 11th century Polish queen whose life and name were all but forgotten until now.

Of Women and Salt
    by Gabriela Garcia

A kaleidoscopic portrait of generations of women from a 19th-century Cuban cigar factory to the present day.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win The Beauty of Your Face

A New York Times Notable Book of 2020

"Stunning.… A timely family saga with faith and forgiveness at its core."
Marie Claire