We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 105 reader reviews for A Painted House

Judy Adkins

The Painted House
Just discovered author John Grisham . In reading most books, I always reach some parts of "boredom"and skip so many pages.

With "The Painted house",found myself totally engrossed !! Love the serious, the funny, down-to-earth of it all. My imagination sees it all as I read. Best book I have read in years !

Judy
Ashley H.

A Painted House
John Grisham's novel A Painted House is very unlike any of his other works and in that sense makes it a unique and interesting book.
This book is narrated by seven year old Luke Chandler. Luke lives on a cotton farm and during cotton picking months his family hires Mexicans and "hill people" to assist with the cotton picking. Within this entire group are a couple dangerous men and a beautiful girl, a killing is committed and rumors begin. Throughout these months Luke is forced to keep several secrets that could forever change the life of his family. Excerpts from book: "The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day." "The fight should've been over, but Hank had other plans. With delight and deliberation, he kicked each of them in their faces and heads until they stopped moving and groaning."
While reading A Painted House I was simply enthralled. It was an incredible read and I could not put it down. I have not been a fan of John Grisham novels, but A Painted House has somewhat changed my view on his writing. This book is not however a book for those of immaturity. A Painted House is a book that is meant for a mature audience that can appreciate the topic. I would recommend this book to any person that is in high school and has an open mind. I think that in writing this book Grisham was trying to say that he can write other gripping novels that don't revolve around lawyers and such, and with A Painted House he most definitely achieved that goal. This was an excellent book and I hope all that read it will enjoy it as much as I did.
shenae

this book is the best............... i just can't put it down
Grisham

A Very Good Book!!!!
Mike Underhill

Great coming of age story - very moving.
Guillermo Quintana

Very moving and entertaining. I loved it from the first page to the last.
Killa C

Some crazy stuff up in the fehezee
Averette Packard

"A Painted House" is a definite collection book. It is a book that you fall asleep with every night because you cant stop reading it. I read it for my summer reading book for school. I had a better summer by reading it. John Grisham is an exceptional author and I recomend this book for everyone!

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...
  • Book Jacket: Our Moon
    Our Moon
    by Rebecca Boyle
    In Our Moon: How Earth's Celestial Companion Transformed the Planet, Guided Evolution, and Made Us ...
  • Book Jacket: Neighbors and Other Stories
    Neighbors and Other Stories
    by Diane Oliver
    The history of American segregation, along with changes to it in the 1960s, is sometimes taught and ...
  • Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)