What readers think of A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

by John Grisham

A Painted House by John Grisham X
A Painted House by John Grisham

Feb 2000, 400 pages
    Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 103 reader reviews for A Painted House

Maddie

i thought luke was very insightful, too insightful for a 7 yr. old though great plot love your books!
Ben

I thought this was a great book, very gripping it was pride that kept them going... kinda hard to believe that Luke didn't go crazy though.. after seeing all those murders and stuff. Characters that nobody will forget, evokes a mixture of feelings... the dialogue is fantastic and every detail gives the book sophistication.... great book! Kudos
Erin

I enjoyed this bok throughly. The ideas were wonderful, and the image that they paint go right along with them. I couldn't put it down. A well written book that deserves to be read by anyone no matter what age they are.
Seth Thomson

I have'nt read all of the books by Mr. Grisham but this is definitely one of the best books in his collection. A great work of litterature and deserves to be read.
Jenn

I liked the book...it was different and being different than something he normally writes about, I thought he did an excellent job in keeping the reader interested throughtout the book.
John Klein

What a marvelous departure from the usual excellent Grisham fare. For we who live in the city we have no idea what it is like to live the way Luke and his family live.

In this semi-autobiographical work Grisham is not asking for sympathy for growing up poor and white in the 1950's South. He is spinning a tale of reflection. It may be a little advanced reflection for a seven year old but it makes good story telling all the same.

I have seen a new side of John Grisham. I hope he finds a way to continue the saga.
Debbie

What a beautifully written story. I fell in love with young Luke.
Sarah,from the Philippines

I've been reading books written by John Grisham and this I should say is very different. For a change we see the other side of John Grisham. How he was humbly raised.
I have 2 nephews and this book has somehow guided me that little boys can keep precious secrets although it pressures them a bit,but they still manage to keep their lips sealed. Because they know that they were trusted.
I wanted some more after reading the book. I actually kept on turning the next few pages to check if I missed out on something.There were no more.
I hope there would be a part 2 because it kept me hanging and I know chilhood memories can never end.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Big Vape
    Big Vape
    by Jamie Ducharme
    In Big Vape, TIME reporter Jamie Ducharme studies the short but inflammatory history of Juul. Her ...
  • Book Jacket: Love and Fury
    Love and Fury
    by Samantha Silva
    Mary Wollstonecraft is best known for being an early advocate for women's rights and the mother of ...
  • Book Jacket: Walking on Cowrie Shells
    Walking on Cowrie Shells
    by Nana Nkweti
    The stories in Nana Nkweti's dexterous debut collection examine the raw alienation of being ...
  • Book Jacket: The Personal Librarian
    The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray
    The Personal Librarian drew a robust positive response from our First Impressions reviewers, ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

The Temple House Vanishing
    by Rachel Donohue

A modern gothic page-turner set in a Victorian mansion in Ireland.

The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray

The little-known story of an extraordinary woman who defies all odds.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N