What readers think of A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

by John Grisham

A Painted House by John Grisham X
A Painted House by John Grisham

Feb 2000, 400 pages
    Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 103 reader reviews for A Painted House

Alex Herrera Ramirez (Costa Rica)

I´ve been a John Grisham´s fan ever since i read the Firm. After that, i had to have every book of John Grisham (JG) there was.

I´ve been always intrigued by the lawyers helping their clients and getting out of trouble and none better than John Grisham at this task.

Let´s be honest, following every new novel through the years, i was shocked when i first found out about a non-lawyers novel from him and i was really dissapointed because, first, no lawyers and second, Costa Rica´s History doesn´t identify as much as North America in farm and cottom stuff.

Eventually, i didn´t have anytime left to read due to college and my full-time job, so i passed on Grisham. But, i few days ago i saw A painted House in a bookstore , again, and i decide to give it a chance and despiting all that had been said,
i think is a readable novel! C´mon! I started like a week ago and i haven´t been able to stop. Is true, it has its boring parts but what novel doesnt??!

My advice is, as a truly fan, go ahead and read it. You may find this as a lawyer-break and proof that JG can write about anything else than lawyers.

Finally, when im done i cant wait to get THE SUMMONS. ;)
Happy reading.
Tammy Osmond

I have my own Home Business & not enough time to really sit down and read a book, but I saw this, and knew right away I just had to read it.
I thought "The Painted House" was extraordinary! John Grisham has really, and honestly portrayed what life really was back then. I felt stepped back in time. Although, I know just what I have experienced and lived, I feel expanded. My life, my mind, and spirit. This little boy, experienced so much, in such a short time. If you are going through a rough time in life - then this is the book - to take all your troubles away.
It is the "Calgon" of Books!
I applaud John Grisham, and his knowledge of "Great" reading! I have had a tremendous sadining in my personal life - of losing my favorite person 2 months ago. My Grandfather WAS "Pappy" stubborn, opinionated, but very, very lovavble, you could never imagine your life without him. This book helped me heal! I have never taken in a book as much as this one. I bawled when it was done. I NEED a sequel, I AM CRAVING ONE!
Thank-you John Grisham for such a wonderful piece of art, in the form of pages. One question, I need to ask is: When and please...... Is their a movie coming out of this book? Can you say.................... OSCAR?
Thank-you again!
And Happy Reading!
Your Friend, and Loyal Canadian - Tammy O
Janet Rodriguez

Eventhough it was a diferrent type of book that what we are used to read from him, the same writting techniques were there as well as that chemistry that attracks you to the book and never lets you go.
Cam

I loved this book, after a slow start, it is non-stop action, and keeps you enthralled right up untill the end. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, and is alot more emotional than his earlier books. It gives you a feeling of what it would be like to try and survive in these times as a poor cotton picker, not even making enough to pay off your debts. Alround great book, 5 out of 5.
Chris

After being asigned this book in English class, i was dreading the 450 plus pages. It turned out to be one of the best books i have ever read, and despite the large number of pages, I could not put it down, and read it in less then four days.
C. L. Lewis

Great Book!
Shana

I really enjoyed this book-- It is most certainly one for all ages! Both my mom and myself enjoyed reading it... Neither one could put it down! It's a heart warming story that no one should miss!
Klpsy

It was a very good story.
I loved this book!
However, I was left wondering about many things. I think we should have learned whether Ricky found out about the baby, if he came home, what happened to the three of them.
I was left worried about Tally. Did she know what Cowboy did? Was she safe?
How did Luke's family fare in the city?
I wanted more tied-up ends and not so many loose ones!
Please, someone tell him to write a sequel. If there is one, let me know

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Swimming Back to Trout River
    Swimming Back to Trout River
    by Linda Rui Feng
    Linda Rui Feng's first novel, Swimming Back to Trout River, is a powerful meditation on the ties ...
  • Book Jacket: The Unfit Heiress
    The Unfit Heiress
    by Audrey Farley
    During the American eugenics movement (see Beyond the Book), involuntary sterilization was used to ...
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...
    The Last Flight
    by Julie Clark
    Julie Clark's second novel, The Last Flight, is the tale of two women, each desperate to escape an ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Footnotes
    by Caseen Gaines

The story of New York in the roaring twenties and the first Broadway show with an all-black cast.

Everybody
    by Olivia Laing

"Impassioned and provocative...[an] intensely moving, vital and artful book."
    The Guardian

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library

H I T Best P