What readers think of A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

by John Grisham

A Painted House by John Grisham X
A Painted House by John Grisham

Feb 2000, 400 pages
    Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 103 reader reviews for A Painted House

Angel

I love this book. It's a great story for everyone.I just had a baby and I'm up 24-7 .I read the book to pass the time away.I read it once , than twice,than a third time. I'm still not tried of it. It's wonderful. It's exicting and mew. Even my husband a professional football player reads it on his travels. Keep it up Jhon.
andy

this book is a amazing book. your characters are ones i will never forget.
Matt Brennan

It is great
Diane S.

My ancestors came from Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arkansas; they were poor sharecroppers with the attributes of resourcefulness, intelligence, and tenacity, which they passed on to the generations who have followed them. But their lives were hard. I believe that The Painted House shows Grisham's deep awareness of the assets and challenges of those who lived through these times, in those places. He creates characters who exist amidst a back-drop of murder, youthful dreams, and the struggle to rise above the quest for survival, and he does it so engagingly that I became totally engrossed in the story. He is a magnificent weaver of tales. I loved it..can't wait for his next book. I hope he continues to create those who are not limited to the confines of the field of law.
Melanie N.

I saw this book while shopping with my husband in a music store, and was immediately attracted to it because of its cover. I read the jacket, and was immediately enthralled with the story. I bought it, and now almost a week later, (hardly putting it down), I finally just finished it! I laughed and cried with the charcters. I found myself escaping my college life and living life with the Chandlers. This is by far the BEST book I have read written by John Grisham.
Alicia Workman

This is, by far, my favorite book John Grisham has written. I am an Arkansan who has heard the stories from my grandparents about what it was like to live through the Great Depression. It is my opinion, that Grisham did an excellent job making the novel relate as close as possible to actual events.
Markus

I really like reading this book. Same as other Grisham books though it has a different subject.
Eli

This is by far my favorite Grisham novel. Although it lacks the tense and fast paced plot of his legal thrillers, this novel shows that Grisham is fully capable of writing a non-law related book. Once I started this book, I could not put it down and finished it in a matter of days. This is the type of book that develops the characters so well, you wish the story would never end, and are left wondering what happens to them when you are done. My only question....where's the sequel?!

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Big Vape
    Big Vape
    by Jamie Ducharme
    In Big Vape, TIME reporter Jamie Ducharme studies the short but inflammatory history of Juul. Her ...
  • Book Jacket: Love and Fury
    Love and Fury
    by Samantha Silva
    Mary Wollstonecraft is best known for being an early advocate for women's rights and the mother of ...
  • Book Jacket: Walking on Cowrie Shells
    Walking on Cowrie Shells
    by Nana Nkweti
    The stories in Nana Nkweti's dexterous debut collection examine the raw alienation of being ...
  • Book Jacket: The Personal Librarian
    The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray
    The Personal Librarian drew a robust positive response from our First Impressions reviewers, ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray

The little-known story of an extraordinary woman who defies all odds.

At the Chinese Table
    by Carolyn Phillips

Part memoir of life in Taiwan, part love story—A beautifully told account of China's cuisines with recipes.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N