What readers think of A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

by John Grisham

A Painted House by John Grisham X
A Painted House by John Grisham

Feb 2000, 400 pages
    Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 103 reader reviews for A Painted House

Dee

This book shows Grishams way with words. Not unlike his other books the words flow together easily and only enable to reader to make their own assumptions. This book is the type that makes you feel good, and makes you wish you lived in a town like that. I think when I get old I would like to just relax on my porch swing and watch my grandkids play baseball in the front yard : )
Coming from the simple but complex mind of a small boy made this story what it was. Even though it was so unlike his other stories, in ways it was much more beneficial to the reader. It gives out a sense of hope and wonder. I hope Grisham continues to write these type of novels
RJ Kris

This book puts a smile on our lips when we see a 7 year old go out at the end - to the north, facing a new way of life-a new way of Modern America from rural Arkansas

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Grisham stepped into his characters in this book and took us with him on a very insightful, thoughtful trip through a brief but dynamic turning point in several lives. He made us aware of how dramatic reality can be in a small sleepy southern town. This was a different type of novel for him but one that truely showcased his infinate skill and talent with words. He made the reader not only see what he described, in a visual sense, but he enabled us to travel with and see from the eyes and heart of his characters. I hope that he will write more novels like this one as well as the usual mysteries, and share the ride with us soon.
Zach

A very good book, one of Grisham's best. I wish that they would make a sequel to put an end to all of the unanswered questions.
John

I though the book was very good and hard to put down. I have one objection or opion, to short, to many things left hanging, a sequel of some sort would be good, I would most definetly buy! Well that is my opion on the book!
Peace

I thought it was really good
Luke

What a wonderful story; you are transformed into the proverbial fly on the wall, at least, for a couple of months; privy to a way of life that most of us generation X have never known. This book could easily be a great modern classic such as Joy Luck Club, Green Fried Tomato, Steel Magnolia, without being such a girlie flick.

This is nothing like any of Grisham other books that I have read, after Street Layer, The Firm, The Client I felt that his writing was to a strict formula, and found nothing satisfying after finishing The Client. What a great book to break the mould. I will now revisit the bookstand to examine the plot of his other books. Definitely worth buying and I will try to find this in a hardback version for my bookshelf.
Cassie

It was so unlike most of Grisham's books, it took me by surprise. It still had the suspense and the awesome plot that Grisham knows how to add to just about anything. Kudos! Keep up the good work!

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Whereabouts
    Whereabouts
    by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Jhumpa Lahiri's Whereabouts has seen numerous comparisons to Second Place by Rachel Cusk. These two ...
  • Book Jacket: Swimming Back to Trout River
    Swimming Back to Trout River
    by Linda Rui Feng
    Linda Rui Feng's first novel, Swimming Back to Trout River, is a powerful meditation on the ties ...
  • Book Jacket: The Unfit Heiress
    The Unfit Heiress
    by Audrey Farley
    During the American eugenics movement (see Beyond the Book), involuntary sterilization was used to ...
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Everybody
    by Olivia Laing

"Impassioned and provocative...[an] intensely moving, vital and artful book."
    —The Guardian

Footnotes
    by Caseen Gaines

The story of New York in the roaring twenties and the first Broadway show with an all-black cast.

I am what the librarians have made me with a little assistance from a professor of Greek and a few poets

H I T Best P