What readers think of A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 103 reader reviews for A Painted House

Mike

Where's Ricky
I usually read Stephen King, Dean Koontz and John Saul, however, my wife picked this book up at a tag sale and I decided after reading the jacket to give it try. I was truly impressed with this book. It was a terrific story seen through the eyes of a seven year old. However, I am deeply disappointed in not knowing if Ricky came home or died in the war, did the Latchers stay on the farm the next season and help pick cotton. I will probably not read another Grisham book, however, if he writes a sequel to this one, I will surely read it.
Jacqui Paulson

Not what I expected
I recently read this book and I have to say it was not what I expected. I had this image of John Grisham in my head and this book blew it away. This moving story was not what I expected to come from the pen of the man that I saw as a best-selling novelist.

It is not the kind of story that will inspire you to rave about it but it is a story that you will never forget. It gives a great insight into the life of cotton farmers in Arakansas and for the history lovers amongst us, there is enough of the sense of reality to fulfill that desire of "I wonder what it was like to live then or there?".

Written from the perspective of the child, Mr Grisham certainly has the ability to get inside the mind of a young boy whilst maintaining a writing style that is captivating and intriguing. An interesting book and well worth taking the time to read.
Jonathan

A Painted House
At this present moment, there are 97 reviews for "A Painted House" by John Grisham. If you have read all 97 reviews, like I just did, then basically what I have to say will be the same.

I am not an avid reader on a day to day basis. But,during the summer, I have some extra time and try to read a book or two. I went to the book store to ask for a recommendation. The sales clerk said that "A Painted House" was a must read.

I found this book to be an easy read----something that I was hoping would be since I don't have a "true love of reading". The chapters were short enought to not bore me and interesting enough for me to see "what happens next".

However, I was a little bit disappointed that Mr. Grisham left me as a reader to just accept the outcome of the Spruill family and the Mexicans----regarding Hank and Cowboy. I thought he could have least made it a little bit more suspenseful. I also didn't like that the character of Stick Powers, to me, just kind of came and went---like the wind. As a reader, I was hoping that Stick would have pursued the whereabouts of Hank.

Like the other readers have said, I also want to know what happened to Ricky and Libby?

If Mr. Grisham does write a sequel, I sure hope I am informed.
oli

The charecters in this book are so real. Although this is not a typical grisham book it still has so much action u will not want to put it down. This book is one of his best.
Stephanie

i think the book is reaaly interesting! it is really told well by the author by a seven yr olds point of veiw. very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kutie

IT was good i was very interested through out the book
Andrea

I absolutely love this book. I like the prospective the author wrote from and his unique style. I'm about 350 pages in and I can't get enough. The characters are incredibly descriptive and the story is vivid. This book is a MUST read!!
BOB

This novel was a good read. It was involving and let you enjoy the struggles and triumph of a rural family. It is a updated "Grapes of Wrath."

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Big Vape
    Big Vape
    by Jamie Ducharme
    In Big Vape, TIME reporter Jamie Ducharme studies the short but inflammatory history of Juul. Her ...
  • Book Jacket: Love and Fury
    Love and Fury
    by Samantha Silva
    Mary Wollstonecraft is best known for being an early advocate for women's rights and the mother of ...
  • Book Jacket: Walking on Cowrie Shells
    Walking on Cowrie Shells
    by Nana Nkweti
    The stories in Nana Nkweti's dexterous debut collection examine the raw alienation of being ...
  • Book Jacket: The Personal Librarian
    The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray
    The Personal Librarian drew a robust positive response from our First Impressions reviewers, ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray

The little-known story of an extraordinary woman who defies all odds.

At the Chinese Table
    by Carolyn Phillips

Part memoir of life in Taiwan, part love story—A beautifully told account of China's cuisines with recipes.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N