What readers think of A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 103 reader reviews for A Painted House

Purple

HIS WORST WORK YET!
I thought this was the WORST book that he wrote. Unfortunately it was my first John Grisham book and luckily I was not turned off by it. He is a good author, but I thought this was really poor work.
baboo

its boring hard do grip
Catherine

The book had me really interested and kept my attention well throughout but I was left with so many questions at the end. John Grisham could have at least left his readers with the answer as to wether Ricky ever comes home. He had us wondering during the whole book and then left us still wondering at the end.
Heidi

I think that this book dragged on and it didnt have a very good ending. what happened to everyone?? did ricky come home and marry Libby?
Christi

This story was not believeable. A seven year old boy could not have experienced life this way, even a mature farm child. Also, Pappy would be too proud to let the hill people camp out on his front yard, no matter how needy he was for farm help. The novel misses the boat, it has no tragedy, or hero.
Maga Ditto

Dragged on. Not as taut as earlier courtroom novels... particularly "The Partner" and "The firm". Most Grisham fans won't recognize "their boy" in this work.
Nessie

Racial Book
I did not like this book at all. The get so racial for "The Mexicans" instead the author could have said the people from out of the country instead of saying Mexicans also I think that Ricky should have came out in the book like he returned home...
moby

boring

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Big Vape
    Big Vape
    by Jamie Ducharme
    In Big Vape, TIME reporter Jamie Ducharme studies the short but inflammatory history of Juul. Her ...
  • Book Jacket: Love and Fury
    Love and Fury
    by Samantha Silva
    Mary Wollstonecraft is best known for being an early advocate for women's rights and the mother of ...
  • Book Jacket: Walking on Cowrie Shells
    Walking on Cowrie Shells
    by Nana Nkweti
    The stories in Nana Nkweti's dexterous debut collection examine the raw alienation of being ...
  • Book Jacket: The Personal Librarian
    The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray
    The Personal Librarian drew a robust positive response from our First Impressions reviewers, ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

At the Chinese Table
    by Carolyn Phillips

Part memoir of life in Taiwan, part love story—A beautifully told account of China's cuisines with recipes.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel

An evocative coming-of-age World War II story from the author of The Book of Lost Names.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N