Reader reviews and comments on Finding Fish, plus links to write your own review.

Finding Fish

by Antwone Quenton Fisher

Finding Fish

Jan 2001, 368 pages
    Dec 2001, 352 pages

There are currently 40 reader reviews for Finding Fish

Evelyn (03/15/03)

I found Finding Fish extremely poignant. It was painfully honest and truthful. I am thoroughly impressed by individuals who battle through life, suffering from the actions of other people and throughout, find the strength to perservere and follow their dreams. I wish for the opportunity to let the author know the effect his memoir has had on me. I recommend this book to anyone who believes in the power of his or her own strength.
chrissy (02/12/03)

This was a story that I could not stop reading. I was deeply moved and touched by Antwone Fisher"s life. He speaks for all the children who could not speak out for themselves. He is a strong person and I felt so inspired by his story. I liked his book because it was honest and soul searching. Many people may have simular stories to tell but we are unable to tell them. This book should be read by all. It is a great accomplishment for Antwone, inside and out!
Marjorie clayton (01/22/03)

The book was excellent, and I know it touch many hearts for it touch mine indeed,I am now about to read the book again. I truly related to the book being two months apart from Fisher and also having a trouble childhood, if any childhood. However,I was greatly dispointed and cry when I saw the movie, the movie took away a lot from the book, it was not at all accurate making it as if the producers did not read the book or take the book serious, or the writting himself was not true to his own life or friends. If you can say (action)and have a scene about a friend getting kill in the store, why can't you have a scene about the way the friend die in the book, on the street, if the girlfriend was a diffrent race in the book, then why she can't be the same race in the movie, and so many other factors that was dispointed to me. Why? this book was to give hope to other children and grown adults that have been though the system and have abuse, too give hope that they can overcome and if it is truely a life story on a person that offers encourage and hope then let it be concept on concept, and i do understand the name changing,but not the hope changing.
Shelly_can (01/22/03)

This book in not just about Antwones experience as a foster child emotionally lost in the system. This book is about giving life a chance. This book is about showing the world how a person has the ability to prove that there is a GOD, and how humans can display all of GOD's qualities in a compassionate, caring and loving way. This book makes you examine your life, your accomplishments, your heart, your life, your soul. Most of all this book resuscitates the sprit to live again.
De'Wayne Thomas Jr. (01/21/03)

I loved this story. I was able to realate to the things that he went
through and by me living on the eastside of Cleveland Iwas able to
picture most of the places that he talked about. My school had to read the book, the book was so good that a few copies came up missing. Thats the sing of a good book. They took our school to see the movie after we read the book. What got me was that the book was totally differant from the book. I loved it!!!!!!
kari (01/17/03)

For the first time in my 39 years of life I was able to connect a "unity of spirit" with another human being of this world. Fish, while it is hard for others to "conceive" : ) the continuance of silence that had occurred for many years in ur life and many others, may ur story open the door to rescue those children whom live in daily fear of the "truth" being found out. I must say that i found myself frustrated with the "system" that kept u in silence for so many years. I feel that u have let's say "woke the sleeping giant" thus causing the "system" to be forced in making some much needed changes. There is no doubt that your story will cause the doors of many homes to open up into becoming a home to many homeless children, and in so doing may ur story be well known within the walls of these homes. Your expressions of self in all that u suffered is what made me feel a "unity of spirit". In all that i have suffered, I blocked out all my emotions thus causing me to feel dead to the world, but you mr. fisher have brought my emotions to life and for this i say "thank you". My final note..........write some more!!!
Natasha Smothers (01/17/03)

I have never seen this movie or read the book, but for brother to go through what was served to him I'm glad he did not become another statistic. This mans life should let every black sister and brother know that you do not have to suffer long. There is a better way and life waiting for you. Keep your head up.
Vivian (12/20/02)

Antwone Fisher did an exceptional job of portraying his very inspirational life. Alot of my emotions were tested as I was going through the book. Antwone had a way of narrating a heartbreaking event and then surprisingly throwing a positive spin on it making you laugh or at least smile! I am amazed that someone can go through such an existence and still overcome. God bless you, LaNette and Indigo.

I volunteer as a mentor for the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program in Connecticut. My "little brother" is a ward of Connecicut State and was recently taken from his grandmother and placed in a foster home. I can't see him anymore for reasons unknown to me (I guess Dept of Children and Families knows best) but this is one of those stories that I wish I had read to him or at least told him about before before he got placed. One can indeed rise above all. Its all about creating a safe haven in the mind. Go Antwone!!

By far the best book i have read all year!

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen

by Caroline Leavitt

by Paulette Jiles

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.