Reader reviews and comments on Finding Fish, plus links to write your own review.

Finding Fish

by Antwone Quenton Fisher

Finding Fish by Antwone Quenton Fisher X
Finding Fish by Antwone Quenton Fisher

Jan 2001, 368 pages
    Dec 2001, 352 pages

There are currently 41 reader reviews for Finding Fish

Vivian (12/20/02)

Antwone Fisher did an exceptional job of portraying his very inspirational life. Alot of my emotions were tested as I was going through the book. Antwone had a way of narrating a heartbreaking event and then surprisingly throwing a positive spin on it making you laugh or at least smile! I am amazed that someone can go through such an existence and still overcome. God bless you, LaNette and Indigo.

I volunteer as a mentor for the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program in Connecticut. My "little brother" is a ward of Connecicut State and was recently taken from his grandmother and placed in a foster home. I can't see him anymore for reasons unknown to me (I guess Dept of Children and Families knows best) but this is one of those stories that I wish I had read to him or at least told him about before before he got placed. One can indeed rise above all. Its all about creating a safe haven in the mind. Go Antwone!!

By far the best book i have read all year!
Marina (12/09/02)

I found Finding Fish an inspiring book. As a social worker and one who works with incarcarated mothers and their children, it gave me a better understanding of the various issues and challenges the children endure. Mr. Fisher proves that you don't have to be a product of your environment. This book should be a required reading to social workers that are planning to work in the foster care system and prospective foster parents.

I hope that Mr. Fisher will continue to have much success and when the movie, Andre Fisher comes out on December 25, 2002 people will go out and support it.

Marina Gethers, Baltimore, MD
~deedee (11/15/02)

this book was recommended in a class that i am taking through the state. as a foster-adopt mom, this story gave me insight to the thoughts of foster children that i may not have realized before. i.e. how they can translate something we say into something so far from what we meant. it is a remarkable story of courage and survival and it is a great lesson for all of us. i am just so thankful to the author for sharing his story and touching so many lives!
winterkisses (10/28/02)

This was the best book. I felt for Antwone and am glad that he has become a wonderful human being. Out of ashes he kept his spark, and he is truely blessed. I have given this book to my teenage daughter to read and give her insight that what she takes for granted, others search for.

maury (10/19/02)

This is a very good book, my grandparents raised 2 sets of Foster children(well into their 70's) and we loved them all. There are horrble people who should not have kids or be foster parents. Antwone survived and grew to be a honorable man. I was always taught that the human spirit will triumph over tragedy, and he has proven that. To all the kids out there that are struggling and dealing with the same type of inhumane treatment- speak to your teacher, a trusted friend or someone and let them know- do not suffer in silence. I know your scared, but trust me there are good people out here who care and love. I know- my mother left me when I was an infant and if it were not for my maternal grandparents already in their 50's god only knows where I would be today.
M. Cruise (10/02/02)

Kudos to Fish! You are truly a SURVIVOR! Thank you for not allowing one's abuse to hinder your bright light. Shine forever more my brother!
Tess (07/24/02)

Absolutely INSPIRING!! I've told everyone I know to read this book from Cleveland to California. I just wish I knew when Fish was back home in Cleveland making the movie...(I would have been there to get a roll) LOL!
Moving and encouraging. I used this book as an example of how to get beyond limitations and being kicked in the teeth to a group of "at risk" teens at a Cleveland High School and encouraged them to start a book club with it when they just can't find anything to do.
You're a hero Mr Fisher and I wish you all the well-deserved peace your life can hold.
Godspeed
ps
Hurry up with that movie!!!
Tess in Cleveland, OH (all the areas in the book)
Jessi Quezada (06/27/02)

I read this book and it blew my mind. It amazes me how certain people have so much strength, intelligence, and beauty. Fisher has these qualities and more. I was extremely touched, and felt that his writing was a gift to us all. Therefore, please get this book...don't check it out from a Library. It's way to good to return it.
This book is a definite keeper.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund