MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Oct 2000, 288 pages
    Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

Charles Perry

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While many of us should know the historical "facts" involved in the founding and shaping of the nation, few have been exposed to the "story behind the story". Ellis does a wonderful job of providing an insight as to what was going on behind the scenes during this formative period. He illuminates the human aspects of the founding of the country that are often overlooked in many history classes on the subject. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the motivation behind the decisions made during the late 18th century that have shaped our present government.
AGARCIA

I have read this book for a class, and i do enjoy history but have always had trouble when it came to reading, anything. This book actually did a good job of keeping me into the book. For example, in the 1st chapter, Ellis goes into deatail of the Duel, he goes into so much detail from what is happening to why iy is happening. I had to read this as an assignment for class but i had several friends that rented the movie, and they lacked the details, that were happening, and their thoughts in words.

Excellent book.

Houston, TX 21 yr old
cameron

Wow good book, but complicating for all of you intellectuals.
Marie

Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis was an interesting book, to say the least. I read it for a summer reading project, and I found it very dry in some places while very intruiguing in others. The chapter about the Duel was excellent, as well as the Farewell and the Friendship, but I found the introduction the Generation long and boring, and the Collaberators repeated things over and over. I wouldnt reccomend it for someone who is not a history buff, but overall I liked it and discovered many new facts about the godlike "band of brothers" of the Revolution.
Kosta

Excellent Read, once the extreme vocabulary is out of the way, it gives insight into things I've always thought to be correct. Such as the impecable records of all the Founding Fathers. It displays them as true people with building blocks of an entire nation. Almost like a reality show of the founding of our nation.
Lauren

This book may seem boring, ofcoarse one would assume it is. Especially to a teenager who wants to be out and about with friends, not stuck home during the hot, inviting summer reading a "crumby book" like this. But, to tell you the truth (I'm 15 and going into AP American History) it is extremely well written. It took me literally an hour to read about 15 pages. When thoroughly dissected and vocabulary words translated, the text really came alive. I am completely embodied by the vocabulary selections Ellis has chosen, and this book is truly helping me to utilize my thinking and vocabulary skills to unravel this journey into time. He is brilliant and fully deserves the Pulitzer. I must admit my frustration at times, with big words and long, somewhat confusing sentences, but with alittle patience I was fully able to understand the text. It is a fantastic book for someone who is willing to learn and has time on their hands, but for a busy bodied teenager on the go, it is a nightmare. Oh well. "It is the people who take the time out to grow and prosper that will flourish in the future."
~Lauren
Katherine

I'm 16, and like many of the other reviewers, I was assigned this book for my American history class. However, I disagree with the opinion that this book is boring and confusing. It isn't a novel, and once you get beyond the "big words" and somewhat unfamiliar concepts, you can see an interesting perspective on the people who politically formed our nation. Ellis goes into depth about key issues and characters, but his writing is clear and well structured. I found that the book gave me a good introduction to this period of history.
KSR

I enjoyed this book. I picked it up because in my American History class the professor had many quotes in his notes about it. I first went to the library and saw that this was also a PBS special and checked it out. The PBS special was phenomenal. If you liked this book or think you would definitely see the PBS special. After viewing it I knew for sure I wanted to read the book. The amount of personal and daily details was nice. The reader gets to "feel" the humanity of these heroic characters in our country's history. What was special was to read that they knew if they lost - they would have been killed as traitors and still decided for the good of the people the risk needed to be taken to lead this new nation to freedom.

• Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...
  • Book Jacket: Little Gods
    Little Gods
    by Meng Jin
    Little Gods, Meng Jin's intricate, emotionally intelligent debut, opens with a scene in which ...
  • Book Jacket: The Truants
    The Truants
    by Kate Weinberg
    The Truants opens with Jess Walker, a first-year university student in Norfolk, England, ...

Cartier's Hope
    by M. J. Rose

A Gilded Age gem of ambition & betrayal from the author of New York Times bestseller, Tiffany Blues.

Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

Father of Lions
by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I