Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

The Revolutionary Generation

by Joseph J. Ellis

Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis

Oct 2000, 288 pages
    Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 184 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

DougO (09/27/11)

Character Matters- Then and now!
Highly recommend Founding Brothers, this is a great read. An honest and mature presentation of the challenges our Founding Fathers faced creating America after the Revolution. You will get to know the founding fathers as individuals, each with unique strengths and weaknesses. They often made policy up as they went along; each understanding the importance of compromise if America was to be given the opportunity to stand on untested wobbly legs. The States were apprehensive about creating any centralized form of government with the authority to tell them what to do; after all hadn't they just fought and won the right to be free of England. Complex issues like slavery had to be dealt with carefully or not at all if the Union was to be preserved. The initial chapter covering the Burr- Hamilton duel could put you off as Ellis includes too much unnecessary detail. Once Ellis hits his stride with Washington, Jefferson, Adams and Madison you will find yourself sitting along side these great men as they struggle to transform the idea of an American democracy into a reality.
katiee (08/29/11)

Founding brothers
Worst book I've ever read in my entire life. The overly advanced vocabulary is simply unnecessary and makes what should be easily understood extremely hard to follow. I compare this book to a text book a student has in school.. Boring and dry.
Joey (08/26/11)

Horriblee
The worst book I have ever read. It's almost like 100 facts and a biography, but written in the 1790's way of writing, with very abstract and large words that are not necessary.
Jared (08/15/11)

-_-
Seriously, this is the worst book ever.. I guarantee you if you took out the repetitiveness and biased "facts," then you'll get the whole plot in 30-40 pages. Straight up garbage.
brandon (08/15/11)

oh my god..
Literally wanted to shoot myself right in the face during this entire book. I don't know if I've ever read anything so boring and confusing in my entire life, and I'm 78. This man needs to move to Scotland and live there and not write books again3.
Madison (08/15/11)

Just Kill Me Now
This book has got to be the most despicable piece of literature ever written. I am a very smart and educated person but I could not understand this book at all! I continually fell asleep and could not focus. This book was pointless and terrible.
Buckwheat (08/07/11)

Horridly Excruciating
I had to read this book for my report this year. I must say, It's been one of the most excruciatingly painful ones I've ever read. I viewed it so much as being more than boring, but that I had to go back and reread it over again paragraph after paragraph until I finally understood what it was saying. I didn't finish the book. I found it that horrible. So! I'm now left with an F and a failing grade. And What's this? It's not even the 2nd week of school. I DO NOT recommend this to anyone, Other than history freaks and those that need something to put them to sleep at night. Good luck to those that do have to read it, And If you don't have to, Trust me, you Don't want to.
mandi (01/03/11)

boring but has good facts
The book is super boring but it does have a few parts that kinda helped me understand what I was learning in school a little better. Like when he described the duel. But the rest just about put me to sleep with how boring it was I couldn't even finish it. It wasn't the big words or any thing it was just SO boring!!!!

• Book Jacket: Pachinko
    Lincoln in the Bardo
    by George Saunders

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

A few books well chosen, and well made use of, will be more profitable than a great confused Alexandrian library.

K Your F C