Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

b (08/18/09)

Founding Fathers: the Revolutionary Generation
I have to read this book for AP US History. I have read most of it, but I find it really hard to get through. I've already read The Jungle, Thirteen Day: A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and The Killer Angels, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed. This book, however has put me to sleep three times with its boring rehashing of previously stated facts. It could be quite condensed and still give the same information. It would be quite good if it wasn't so long winded. I enjoy the first parts of all the Chapters, but after 15 pages of the same thing it gets boring (and I'm not ADD or ADHD). I wouldn't recommend this book unless you absolutely LOVE Ellis's other works.
Chris (08/18/09)

This Book Will Make You HATE History
I read (and am still reading) this book as a part of my AP Summer Assignment. Don't read this book unless you absolutely have to. I feel sympathy for the people who have been assigned this book because I have to write 8 essays based on this book. I don't see why teachers love this book so much, and I want to know how much critics were paid to say that the book is "lively and engaging." This book is as engaging as a marble statue. I normally don't have a problem with history, but I had to read many sections more than once just to understand what Ellis was trying to say, and after completing a particular chapter I couldn't remember what I had just read! The critics were wrong with this book.

Bottom Line: If you want to read an exciting history book, you've come to the wrong place. Do not read this book.
Drowned by my own drool (10/14/08)

Shoot yourself in the head before you read this book
Seriously... has anyone gotten past the first two chapters and come out alive. Many comrades of mine fell to the evils of this book, don't let it happen to you. Hamilton,Burr,Jefferson,Washington,Adams,and Franklin formed a hate gang with their leader Joseph Ellis to kill the minds and hearts of innocent souls. Don't read it or you're soul will be trapped in the vortex of DOOM!!!!
Meghan (09/08/08)

Don't waste your time
Like many others I had to read this book for a class. The material was interesting but I can get through this book. It reads like the author used the synonym button to find large words. I can understand some words but not all of them are in my vocabulary. When I read it it sounds like this to me: "_____ of the _____ and the _______" He could have made a whole chapter fit into ten pages if he made so a normal human could understand it.
ap pshhhhh (08/18/08)

this is such a bad book!!
Oh my goodness!!! I absolutely hated this book! it was super boring and it is just useless! the author did not format it well enough and I almost fell asleep! DO NOT read this book! save yourself!
Lil JJ (08/14/08)

What the hell is this book about lol
All those who rated this book I think is out of their mind. I bet you even a college student would go to sleep while reading this book. To me, this book is like a punishment given to me by my whole family members.
Jenn (06/30/08)

BAAHHHH!!
I just finished two chapters and I can't remember anything!!! Well, except for the actual story of the duel but that's it. What a way to spend two whole weeks of summer. ughh.
You know, I thought that my AP teachers would have learned by now to NOT give boring books for homework! We all fail the tests and quizzes. Maybe if they just gave us a book with a good story, we would learn without even realizing it. right??? Oh wow I really wish I could understand this book. Helppp...
Kyle (05/29/08)

A nerds review
Phrases I have used in my paper to describe this book include: "I am about to explode from the massive influx of information" "coma inducing" "nasty tendency to roll on forever" and "Random tangents away from the storyline." Normally I love to read a good historical book. It is something I do for fun. Founding Brothers managed to make 250 pages seem like a 1000 page novel.

• Book Jacket: Sunburn
    Sunburn
    by Laura Lippman
    Crime writer Laura Lippman is both prolific and versatile. After spending years as a reporter for ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us
    The Wife Between Us
    by Sarah Pekkanen, Greer Hendricks
    The Wife Between Us is an intriguing collaboration between first-time novelist Greer Hendricks and ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us