Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

ugh (09/12/10)

BORING
I could usually get through any book pretty much in a day no matter how boring it is, but THIS BOOK. OH MANN. I couldn't even get past a paragraph. I opened it, read a sentence and put it right back down. I don't know why teachers are assigning this to high school students.
Jessica (09/09/10)

This book is BORING!!!
I have to read this book for American Studies 1 Honors and I swear it is the most boring book I read. It is hard to read 5 pages without falling asleep. If I'm not mistaking, it took me 2-3 hours to read a chapter. I couldn't read any faster since it was so boring. Dying is faster. Don't read unless forced. More than half the people in school didn't read it.
ap us (09/06/10)

horrible
It was awful. I literally fell asleep within 1 and a half pages of reading. I will take me a decade to read this horrible, boring story. Maybe less if I just commit suicide now. Do not read unless forced.
Agreed with others (08/26/10)

BORINGGGG
I agree with the other 2 guys that wrote a review b4 me. This book sucks. Ellis took good pieces of history and wrote it in a way so that no one could understand. Dammit, go in a straight line, instead of curving back and forth. I'm going to go crazy. Bad bad book, do not read it, unless you are a crazy history nerd. Awful book.
goin to die (08/23/10)

omg
I love history but once I read this I wanted to shoot myself. I'm sure Ellis worked hard on this book but only like 10 people loved it and another 10000000 wanted to die.

Ellis, at least you get an another award besides the Pulitzer prize: The book with the most 1 rating out of 5. Good job
the sage (08/20/10)

Abysmal
This book is so boring and terrible. Its like he used the thesaurus to find the most obscure synonyms for every word, which just makes the already boring and useless book, that much worse. Warning!! Do not read this book unless you have to, because it's painful to get through
Don G. (08/19/10)

If you only knew what you don't know.
Ellis' book is a great read. People who read it with the idea that history is a noun, full of facts, dates, people, and places, miss the point. Ellis intends us to look at history as a verb, the inquiry, not the things, but the relationship between the things. Ellis isn't trying to tell us about Hamilton or Jefferson, he is trying to tell us about the relationship between these two powerful men that led to a historic compromise. As a former AP US History I can appreciate some student's frustration, but I often feel we waste real good history on young people.
founding bros (08/15/10)

Just because I am VERY interested in History
I have never read such a challenging book in my young life before but after the first few pages, the style and essence of Ellis' writing really hit me as eloquent, intriguing, and insightful. I believe that this book is the right choice for someone who likes to be challenged and at the same time, is engrossed in all the stories and people history has to offer us.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci
    by Chloe Benjamin
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    Published by New Directions for the first time in English, Romain Gary's The Kites tells a story of ...

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig

The Days When Birds Come Back
    by Deborah Reed

Win Mothers of Sparta

Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!