Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

KLeigh (04/29/08)

Excellent Insights into the Revolutionary Generation
Certainly a college level book (and therefore appropriate for an AP class). I read this for a basic college government class, and was totally surprised. Yes, the language is hard to understand at first, but I just used the dictionary and reread until I understood. I'm used to fast reading and had to slow way down for this one, but it was worth it! It is obvious the author spent a lot of time perusing first hand sources from the Revolutionary Era and really tried to bring to life the thoughts, fears, and desires of the "Founding Brothers." It brings perspective and clarity to the choices and compromises of the era. The intro had some great insights as well about the relation of past and present politics.
Caleb (01/21/08)

Very Bad Book
This book is horrible. If you go to a middle school a.k.a. eighth grade, and are in a gifted class, ask at the beginning of the year if you are going to read Founding Brothers. If you are, drop out of that class. This book is way to hard to understand. unless you're a nerd or something. I am 13 and have to do worksheets for this book per chapter. it sucks, and it's worth half of my grade.
Sally (09/03/07)

The Founding Brothers!!!!!
This is the most boring book I ever had to read. I fell asleep when I was in the middle of reading the second page!!!! It's so confusing and boring!!! It makes me want to KILL MYSELF!!!! I would rather read a history text book..... This book should be burned.
another ap history student (09/02/07)

confused
I agree wth mostly everyone here, this book is really really boring. I can't even read through an entire chapter without getting confused. Whoever gives this book a higher score must really love history, and seriously boring books. This is not a good book unless you love reading your history textbook. If I could I would give this book a 0, but since it isn't an option I have it a 1.
an ap us history student (08/30/07)

founding brothers
I'm not done with this book but i can definitely agree with almost everyone here. This book can be really REALLY boring at parts, but the more you just change the big pompous looking words to words you can relate to, the better the book gets. I've always thought that u.s. history wasn't the most intriguing subject at school, but this book shows mainly the vulnerability of America as a country in its infancy. overall I think the book could have been made a little more user-friendly, and those who could understand this book without a dictionary open next to them probably know this information already. its a good book, but probably not meant for most high school students. it just takes a little work to find the real meaning of the chapter through all the unnecessary words.
random (08/28/07)

OMG!
this book is boring. Im taking AP US History and this book is all ova the place and its confusing. I don't understand how a high school person could read this. its also very boring and totally contradicts half the Men that we were taught as little kids were the best men in America (ex. Andrew Jackson). Also it will continue with the words "he" and "him" and then start to add another person so you have to go back up like 2 paragraphs to find out who the Original "he" or "him" is. Its completely confusing!
ms.???? (08/27/07)

[{come on}]..ppl, this book is blah blah blah...
i just read the first 3 sentences and STOPPED!!!!..WHAT IN THE WORLD???...This book isn't for high school students.Okay I'm taking AP US History, but this is like for 3AP US History. Who reads this???..Not ME!!!!..It's not talking about anything. I'd be better off hearing this info from my great-grandparents and their brothers and sisters.
Ivana Vilinsky (08/22/07)

Foolish People
I am sorry but I am majoring in political science and history, and yes at first it was slow but when all was said and done the book uncovered the side of history not told in our history books. You must have an appreciation for our history and for truth. The truth must be told even if some find it boring and others disregard it. It deserves its award and the readers respect.

• Book Jacket: Calypso
    Calypso
    by David Sedaris
    David Sedaris' Calypso is every bit as hilarious and irreverent, as clever and incisive, as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Word Is Murder

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E