What readers think of Ella Enchanted, plus links to write your own review.

Ella Enchanted

by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine X
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

May 1997, 240 pages

Sep 1998, 232 pages

There are currently 201 reader reviews for Ella Enchanted

Kat Wixon

This was THE BEST book i could have ever read. Thanks for writing it Gail. :)
Alyssa

I am so excited that there is a movie coming up! But there are alot of things I probably won't like. For instance, I heard something about the fairy tale book talking. That's not right! Besides, Char does not have an evil uncle unless I read the wrong book.

To me the book is excellent! I'm just skeptic about the cast in the movie. Over all, the book is great and I'm sure the movie will be too.
Cat

I give this book a big FAT 5!
Mariah

I loved this book! It is my favorite.I think that it's pretty cool that it's going to be a movie.
When I looked it up on google it said that said that there is going to be an character named
Prince Regent Edgar.Who the heck is he?
princess_olivia

This Book is so cool!!!! Ella Enchanted is my second favorite book, after Gail Carson Levines other book The Two Princesses of Bammare. If you liked Ella Enchanted you should definitly read The Two Princesses of Bammare. I am so happy they are making a movie of Ella Enchanted. I am definitly going to see it.
Jezsyca

This is my ultimately favorite book! Anyone who likes romantic fantasy-type novels, especially ones which are twists on fairy tales, will certainly enjoy this book--I know that I did! The book is impossible to put down once one has started reading it, and it doesn't get boring after one reading--I have read it too many times to count (my copy of it is more beaten up than you can imagine) and have enjoyed each subsequent time just as much, if not more, than the first time. It is beautiful in the way that everything is tied up in a happy little bundle at the end, in the spirit of great fairy tales.

I'm very excited that Ella has been made into a film, and I can't wait to see it on August 8. I disagree with the reviewer who said that Hathaway is too old, in fact, in my opinion, she is the perfect person for the role while Hugh Dancy, who plays Char, is too old (he is 27 in real life and looks it).

As for the reviewers who dislike this book for its genre and rudely insult the reviewers who like a good fairy tale, please don't act as if you are surprised that you don't like a book that is "just like Cinderella" when that is the point of the novel when you obviously don't enjoy that sort of thing. Website editors: please watch out for these people who are not giving their opinion of the book but are giving their opinion of the people whi like the book--it is rude.

But if you are one of the many people who agree with me in the superior writing of Ella I recommend Robin McKinley's Beauty. As the concept of "Cinderella story" gets used over and over, this book retells Beauty anf the Beast with much of the eloquence of Ella. Watch out, though--If you don't like fairy tale stories, you may not like this book, and it takes a bit of time to get into, but after that, it is a wonderful read.
Ruby Linkle

Good Book.....read, read, read
Kristi

tHIS BOOK IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD. I DON'T SEE WHY EVERYBODY HATES IT. TO GAEL: WRITE A SEQUEL TO THIS BOOK ABOUT LUCINDA'S LONG LOST DAUGHTER WHO PUTS A SPELL ON ELLA'S DAUGHTER. IT WOULD BE WRITTEN IN ELLA'S POINT OF VIEW. BACK TO ELLA ENCHANTED, I THINK CHAR SOUNDS VERY CUTE I LOVE THE ENDING. THIS BOOK [ONCE AGAIN] ROCKS!

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The Terraformers
    The Terraformers
    by Annalee Newitz
    Sask-E is a planet that Verdance, a major terraforming company, has big plans for. Their business is...
  • Book Jacket: The Light Pirate
    The Light Pirate
    by Lily Brooks-Dalton
    The lynchpin of The Light Pirate by Lily Brooks-Dalton, a novel split into four parts, is the main ...
  • Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...

The Love of My Life
by Rosie Walsh
An up-all-night love story wrapped in a mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Ghosted.

Members Recommend

Margot
    by Wendell Steavenson

A young woman struggles to break free of her upper-class upbringing amid the whirlwind years of the sexual revolution.

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win French Braid

French Braid
by Anne Tyler

From the beloved Pulitzer Prize–winning author, a joyful journey deep into one Baltimore family's foibles.

It's A G T Me