MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone, plus links to write your own review.

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

1st Published in UK as Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone

by J.K. (Joanne) Rowling

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Sep 1998, 309 pages
    Sep 1999, 312 pages

There are currently 283 reader reviews for Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Gracie (02/24/04)

THIS WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS! IM DOING A REPORT ON J.K. ROWLING NOW!
Anonymous (01/22/04)

I thought the book was pretty good. I liked the details but I didn't like vauldimore. I thought he was a jerk
Text
Jeanine Rose-Marie (01/01/04)

I'm 12. This book is AWESOME! It made ME want to be a wizard! I mean, I was totally engrossed. I wish that I could play Quidditch and fly on brooms. I sometimes practice some of the spells on my little brother! I couldn't put it down! I got all of the merchandise, too. I have Harry Potter sheets, toys, everything!!! If I was compelled to buy all of those things, than wowzers! You'll probably like it, too! I'm a very tough book credic, and I rarely think that most books are worth reading. You should also check out the book The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg. It's really exciting, too! Once again, Harry Potter is part of my life! That's how good the book is!
Pamela Duprey (01/01/04)

I'm Pamela Duprey. I'm 10 years old. This book is stupid. It promotes the use of wands and abnormal words. If you were to describe Harry Potter to somebody, they'd obviously think that you're cukoo. "He's an orphan wizard boy that attends Hogwarts. He's grand at Quittitch and he's good at flying on brooms. He and his friends battle evil with magic." Now, I don't know what might be going through YOU'RE mind, but it really sounds stupid. I think that the only way Harry Potter would become a good book was if they eliminated Harry, his friends, Hogwarts, Harry's family, and everything dealing with magic. Then this book would be upgraded from a large waste of paper to a book dealing with the dirt cycle. I'd rather be watching grass grow than reading Harry Potter.

Oh yes, and in one of the posts it said it was literary filth. I couldn't agree more.
No Angel (12/26/03)

As the book that started it all, how can I not love it?!
Cindy Miller (12/03/03)

This book was awesome a real page turner. It keeps you guessing and fills your head with imagination. the thing i really liked about this book was the fact that there are so many exciting things harry gets to go through. J K rowling is a pure genius!
Ivan rodriguez (11/26/03)

On this book Harry discover he his a wizard, but his uncle, an aunt didn’t want Harry to know that he his a wizard they wanted to squish the magic out of him, until one day Hagrit told Harry that he was a wizard . What Harry didn’t know was that he was going to face the wizards that kill his parents and he will save the sorceress stone the only thing that will bring Voldemort to life. Tanks to his enemy Harry form part of the team of the school a sport, were they fly with brooms.
Abdullah Mahbub (10/28/03)

I moved to America from germany in the year of 2000. I could not speak a word of english and I hated books. But that ended soon, once I started reading Harry Potter I bot good grades in my english classes and I stoped watching a lot of TV.

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun