Reader reviews and comments on Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone, plus links to write your own review.

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

1st Published in UK as Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone

by J.K. (Joanne) Rowling

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. (Joanne) Rowling X
Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. (Joanne) Rowling

Sep 1998, 309 pages
    Sep 1999, 312 pages

There are currently 283 reader reviews for Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

6th Grader (11/03/10)

Harry Potter #1
This book is the reason I started and enjoy reading. Must I say more?
Harry Potter Wanna-be (10/15/09)

The Best Book
Okay, for one thing, I'm a 10 year-old girl, and I LOVE reading. (If you cracked an egg on my head, and I was reading? I wouldn't care) The book is really great, and it inspired ME to write books! I even had this Harry Potter #8 idea, but it's really no good. The book inspired me and a lot of my friends, to read a LOT more. The books are inspirational!
DarkMinister (06/07/09)

A Review and Response
First of all I'll say how good this book is but it's new. Second of all I'll respond to the criticism of this book based on a few reviews of this book.
In response to the HP series being rip off. I'll say that Shakespeare freely took ideas from other writers and used them to make his plays but we still enjoy his writings.
In response to the opinion that the series just revolves around Harry trying to stop Voldemort and that makes the books bad, the Lord of the Rings trilogy focused on Frodo trying to destroy the ring of Sauron so if you love Lord of the Rings but use this reason to hate Harry Potter be careful with what you say next time.
The last thing I want to say with my responses is that Harry Potter doesn't eliminate any chances for any great thinkers. After all, being a kid when I read this, my opinions on creativity and literature didn't change at all so why would anyone else's? But if people still want to give the excuse of it being a rip off here's a reply: It's an enjoyable rip-off!
Now continuing where I left off , all in all I would say this a great book that must always be remembered forever.
katrina (07/10/08)

since everyone seems to love harry potter..
I did like this book, it was pretty good, its better than the other Harry Potter books because Harry hasn't been all corrupted by knowledge telling him he's special. Because in this one he finds out, yes, hes a wizard, but he doesn't think he's all that like in the other ones. I would recommend it.
Mandi (02/27/05)

Before I read this book, I hated reading. Now, I LOVE reading. I read the rest of the books after they came out.
Katie (02/19/05)

This book and the other 4 that have come out are awsome and anybody who likes magic should read these books by the way the movies are not even close to being as good as the books although they are awsome!!
Adam (12/17/04)

Very intresting and exciting. It's adventurous and fun. It is a great Begginer book for a series.
jennifer cadiz (11/15/04)

i had read this book many times and it so terrific

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers