MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone, plus links to write your own review.

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

1st Published in UK as Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone

by J.K. (Joanne) Rowling

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Sep 1998, 309 pages
    Sep 1999, 312 pages

There are currently 283 reader reviews for Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

JamesPotter's fan (06/20/03)

yes, I think that the book that started it all was GREAT! please visit me at Hogwarts Online
Thomas Abbott (06/20/03)

It's a great book
the Little Critic (06/15/03)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is endlessly inventive and a true page turner. However the book does seem to be written in prose that sounds amateurish. Yet the book is amazing, totally genius. The settings, the three dimensional characters, truly villanious villians, the funny and amusing scenes, the plot twists, the suspense, the edge of your seat climax, eveything is wonderful. JK Rowling is a true wizard, with not a trace of muggle-blood in her.
Sal (06/13/03)

Harry Potter is great for the youh of today, I have read many off the reveiws posted and feel very sorry for the children who's parents thought Harry Potter is not appropriate reading, Stating that ''Children will think the only way to get their way is to break rules and use magic''. What rubbish! Harry potter has underlying messages of comradary, friendship loyalty and struggle to do the rigt thing.

I have also read the term ''Literary Filth'' posted on this reveiw board, what on earth is this guy talking about? He states he has read al 4 Potter book and struggled to keep them up, whers as on the contary millions of adults and children all over the world can barley put it down including me! If they are that bad then why on earth did he read all 4 books?

I think he is just jelous that he didn't think of it first!

Any way Harry potter inspired me to read and I haven,t stopped since! Can't wait for order of the Phenix it is going to be the best yet.

Happy reading!TextText
David (05/08/03)

Hello. My name is David Feldman and I have read all four books. When the fifth comes out I will read that one too. I hate them all. Witchcraft aside (I will leave that out as I disagree with that TYPE of concern. It is, I believe, simply an outlet for the sane public who lacks the eloquence to express their disgust with the series).

Firstly, let me explain something. I am neither a devout Christian nor a fanatic who hates all popular things out of jealousy. I am also not someone who hates things on principle. In fact, I am an enthusiastic reader and I have read virtually every classic that the current literary pool has to offer. Thus hear me out.

It is important to note at this point that the series is riddled with grammatical errors and that the plot lines (I hesitate to pluralize 'line' because the four book are really all the same - after approximately 2000 pages, he still lives during the summer in a cupboard like some kind of Cinderella, he still hates Malfoy, Voldemort, and Snape, and still loves Ron, Hermione, and Hagrid. He discovers something mythological – and thus unoriginal – every time, then risks getting in trouble to stop the ‘bad guys’, meets Voldemort – and doesn’t kill him – and then somehow emerges the hero) are always the same. I simply fail to comprehend how avid fans can claim that they ‘could not put it down’. On the contrary, I found them difficult to keep up!

In addition, several points of the books are in fact taken from other books, and others are outright plagiarized. For example, as we all know, Ms. Rowling was sued recently by one Nancy Stouffer, of Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, who argues in her federal lawsuit that ideas for the Potter series were lifted from a book she wrote in 1984. The book’s main character contains a character whose name is Larry Potter, and the term ‘muggle’ is used in the book as well (which is entitled The Legend of Rah and the Muggles) to describe little people who care for orphans. The entire idea of Voldemort being killed but his spirit still lingering is a direct parallel to Sauron the deceiver in Tolkein’s stories.

However, perhaps the worst part about the series is that it is such literary filth that by allowing our children to read them, we are skewing their opinions on creativity and on literature and therefore we are eliminating all chances of this generation producing any great thinkers.

Something needs to be done to stop the series before it does any more damage, and I believe that the only possible way of doing that is to remove these books from the shelves – for good.
jen (04/28/03)

Harry Potter and The Sorcerors Stone, by JK Rowling is a phenomonal book. If you are looking for exitement, fantasy, or a laugh, this book is the one to look for. With creative and distinct characters and a dramatic story line, this book is a hit in all aspects. JK Rowling has outdone herself this time. She has shown herself to be one of the greatest authors of our time. All I have to say is you go girl
Jen
Athena Belcourt (04/24/03)

I think this book was rather iteresting becauseall the action and from now on all I read is books by J.K. Rowling. and I hope more books come out like this book in the future.
Charlene Lu (04/17/03)

The Harry Potter series rule! It's soo interesting, mysterious, and fun! =^-^=

• Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
    The Fair Fight
    by Anna Freeman
    Anna Freeman's debut novel, The Fair Fight, highlights the world of boxing in England during ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

H Now B C?