Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

Oct 1998, 543 pages
    Sep 1999, 560 pages

There are currently 131 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Anna (08/04/04)

Incredible incite into fanatical missionary work through the eyes of 5 very different characters.
Each character is so well developed and portrayed, that it is diificult to believe that this is a work of fiction.
The various threads of the storyline are woven in such a way that the reader finds it extremely compelling.
I would recommend this book to all, it is simply, brilliant.
michelle (08/02/04)

I'm 14. I was assigned this book. I agree very much so with Haley. Although the book was very well written and was a great challenge for me to read, I found the book overly depressing. I understand that the author was trying to make a point but I strongly discourage anyone under the age of 16 from reading this book. The Poisonwood Bible covers a wide range of racial and politcal dissagreements I can't possibly understand at this young age. Therfore I got nothing out of this book other than: I discovered how very much I like the works of Emily Dickenson and I had the bejjeebees scared out of me. The story tells of a family falling apart. This is a very real fear to a young adolesant and this book intensifies that fear. It also magnifies the concept that the world is a big place and I am so small and utterly helpless. As a professing Christian I was also angered by the portrayal of Nathan Price who's character is a distorted view of Christianity. To those that are not of my faith this may cause them to accidentally sterotype people of my Faith. I found the culture of the Congolese fascinating but I feel the author was too radical in proving her point. Overall there is seriously not a happy moment in the book and unless you have reached complete mental maturaty do not, do not read this book.
me, and u do not need to no who i am (08/02/04)

MY FRIEND HAS TO READ THIS FOR SCHOOL AND HAS TOLD ME THAT IS PARTICULARLY TERRIBLE! WORD OF ADVICE, DO NOT READ IT!!!!!! IT'S A WASTE OF TREES AND IT SHOULD BE BURNED AND TAKEN OFF THE SCHOOOL CURRICULEM!!!!
haley (08/02/04)

i hate this book its horrible and depressing i had to read it for a summer reading project and i hate it. nothing goes right for the family and too many tragedies occur. im a freshman and i couldn't read the book after 4 in the afternoon it was so disturbing i couldn't sleep if i read it any later. i am also filing a complaint with the school to remove this book from their curriculum.
Lauren8651 (07/28/04)

This masterpiece captivates the mind as you twist and turn through the horrific but fantastic events the Price family encounters during their stay in the Congo. Seemingly real, this fiction portrays a young family of missionaries willingly receiving God's call to bring the Congolese people to the Light and in doing so they learn more about the reality of life than the Africans learn from the Bible. This amazing novel teaches countless lessons about American culture and the truths of religion through one family's journey. If you are considering this book, stop considering and run to the bookstore!!
Jim S. (06/29/04)

Someone left a copy at our summer Wisconsin home. The title did not intrigue, but the writing, the story told via many characters, the humor held me as no other novel in many years. Though I toured in Africa last year, this book illuminated much I had missed. There is a deep spirituality Kingsolver has captured in a tale with pace, zest and wisdom. She ranks up there with Nadine Gordimer. I am 78 but felt youthful as the story unfolded throught the Price daughters--Rachel, Leah, Adah and Ruth May.
Jamila (06/26/04)

What a book. I am doing my senior year in Australia this year and chose to do this book for my English course. I loved it because not only is it one of those books that you cant put down, but also there is so much to write about. If you are looking to write an essay / assignment - this is a brilliant choice. You wont be disappointed
J (06/24/04)

I am a high schooler who's been trying to find some good books to read over this summer, and boy did I hit a jackpot with this one. What makes the book so interesting is how the author wrote the story from 4 different points of view. This way, you can somewhat identify with the character that may be most like yourself. This book tells the story of 4 girls who are dragged to the Congo by their father, an arrogant Baptist missionary. It tells of the different hardships as well as the good times had by all of them. I myself kenw nothing about the Congo, and by reading this book, I was able to learn many things I did not know. It is a long book, with about 600 pages, but it's that way for a reason. It allows for there to be many details and to keep building the plot throughout the book. One more thing the book has the ability to do is change other's thoughts on racism. If you know anyone who is racist, then definately try to get them to read this book. I would definately recommend book to others and already have to my friends. It was a well written piece of art.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins
    Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All