Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

There are currently 131 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

inglor (12/15/04)

i loved this book
Bethany (11/29/04)

This book is a definate must to anyone who does not know about American involvement in crucial countries like the Congo. It opened my eyes to American domination and how wrong we have been. I loved and hated this gripping work.
Jessica (11/22/04)

The poisonwood bible is a compelling and inspiring novel. From word go I found my world completly dismantled by the moving events that happened in the congo in the late 50's. This book brings you into the lives of the Price family and you learn to respect and disrespect each member of the family. It is one of the best books I have ever read as it, although being fiction, showed reality a lot better than our very own governments do. A definate read.
catherine (11/17/04)

I thought this book was awesome - I could not put it down! I really felt I learnt a lot about life in the Congo and was truly touched by the tragic events that touched the Price family.
cris (11/16/04)

This novel is truely engauging, spell binding and above all touching. No prior knowledge of African politics in the 1950's is necessary as Kingsolver weaves an accesible and insightful narrative that reaches out of the pages of the book and pulls you into a world of drama, trauma and failed optimism
Anonymous (11/10/04)

I found this book to be beautifully written, and I feel that I learned much about life in the Congo of the late 1950's. However, I feel Barbara Kingsolver (like John Steinbeck) write with the purpose of if it can go wrong, it will. A book that is so long should not be totally depressing...and this one was.
eb (11/04/04)

sweetnesss
whoopie whoopie (11/03/04)

it was awsome

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Y S M B, I'll S Y