Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Oct 1998, 543 pages
    Sep 1999, 560 pages

There are currently 131 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Maria (10/27/04)

Simply Beautiful!
Rebekah De Grazia (10/26/04)

I am 15, and i completley enjoyed this book. It makes u look at your life, and see how it could be worse. If you had problems with understandinig the story line or any of the racial and political stuff, you weren't paying attention. also for all you ppl who are complaining about the lenght of the book, shut it.
I love the way they depict Nathan, he is so unrealistic, it adds some humor to the story. I can relate to all the characters, in there own ways, I personally found Adah to be the most interesting.
You should definently read this book!
(age dosen't matter)
Susan (10/22/04)

Wll, I'm sorry that you missed the whole point .... I'm sorry some people out there are so prejudiced that they can not enjoy a book that criticized their ideal, all-white, all-male, all-Christian society.
I personally enjoyed this book so much!!!! It is a wonderful, yet not over-romanticized story that really makes you look at life a whole different way. I was raised a Christian, currently attend a private school full of people that hold the same view of Christianity of Mr. Nathan Price, who thought being Christian made him better, when in fact every culture has the right to their own beliefs, and they are as right and entitled to practice them as you are. I loved being able to see life from all the different characters' perspectives, to learn about human nature, the irony of life. Well, if you are an open-minded person who does not mind reading a pretty long and fat book, you will enjoy this book. Otherwise, stay in your little bubble.
Two thumbs up.
Jbou (10/19/04)

An amazing work of political fiction. It is showered in colorful voices, American and African. The story traces the cause and effect of both a family and a culture's downfall. This is no small task and hardly a simple theme.
Jim Daly (10/14/04)

I would rate this a two. I don't think it was a successful story. The author tried so hard to make each narrator speak with a different voice, that they eventually became caricatures. Then the political message interfered with the story telling. A summary could be: Stupid white guy screws up family, et al; stupid white culture screws up Africa. And, that makes the theme a little simple.
James Farlow (09/27/04)

Garbage. When will people learn to think on their own?
Susan (08/17/04)

This is the best books I have ever read. The way the author tells the story from every character's point of view is really interesting. The character's are all well developed -- I hated to leave them at the end of the book. The story tells about a missionary family that travels to the Congo to convert the people to Christianity. Because they don't understand the culture their words become meaningless. The family believes they are going to the Congo to change the hearts of the people, but the real story is how the missionary family is changed instead.
John Cartaya (08/07/04)

Being and adent believer in the rights of the people of underdeveloped countries, and of the evils imposed by white parasitic and imperialistic societies mascarading themselves as "christians", I loved reading the ugly implications of all of the above.

All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: Strangers in Their Own Land
    Strangers in Their Own Land
    by Arlie Russell Hochschild
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    After receiving a letter from his childhood friend's father, Aaron Falk, a Melbourne police officer ...

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

A library, to modify the famous metaphor of Socrates, should be the delivery room for the birth of ideas--a place ...

K Your F C