Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

Sep 1999, 560 pages

There are currently 131 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Ashley B. (08/13/05)

The Poisonwood Bible
I am going to be a senior in high school this upcoming year and had to read The Poisonwood Bible. I am almost finished reading it, but not quite done yet. The beginning was slightly discouraging and throughout the book, there were a few down parts where nothing much was really happening, but overall I have found it to be a very good book. I suggest you have some interest to really getting into though, it was fairly challenging.
u dont needa kno (08/09/05)

Poisonwood Bible
OMG it is a horrible book... i had to read it for school --don't waste your time.. i really didn't enjoy it..
Sasha (02/25/05)

Thought provoking. The lengths countries can go to in keeping the wealth for themselves at the expense of the people of another country. Missionary work? Got to wonder if people we know who are doing just that, is it possilble wealth is a factor?
India Foutain (02/16/05)

I absolutly loved this book. Though true it is depressing you can't help but feel that Nathan got exactlly what he deserved
CJ (01/21/05)

Best book listened to in quite a while-and I read a lot!
Alex (01/11/05)

Well written book that shows the hipocracy of the American governmant and the ignorance of the American people very well. The character of Rachel is a classic example of a typical middle/upper class American woman (i.e very ignorant and naive to what is going on in the world around her). All Americans (and Europeans as myself) to read this book should feel ashamed of our nations for exploiting many of the third world countries for our own good and to improve of our way of life. The book shows highly how the American government used the "fear tactic" to justify their being in The Congo/Zaire, the "fear factor" being making the American people believe that the people of The Congo/Zaire (and other colonised countries) were actually a threat to America and the American people. Well done to Barbera Kingsolver for trying to open peoples eyes to the shocking truth.
Anonymous (01/02/05)

wonderful stuff..couldn't put it down
Nicole (12/23/04)

I am 18 years old and I read this book in my English Literary class, and I enjoyed it more than most of the books I have read in school. It was very well-written and I enjoyed the way Kingsolver wrote each part of the book. The allusions to the bible were also very interesting and I enjoyed how each character evolved through the book.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund