Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Oct 1998, 543 pages
    Sep 1999, 560 pages

There are currently 131 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Ashley B. (08/13/05)

The Poisonwood Bible
I am going to be a senior in high school this upcoming year and had to read The Poisonwood Bible. I am almost finished reading it, but not quite done yet. The beginning was slightly discouraging and throughout the book, there were a few down parts where nothing much was really happening, but overall I have found it to be a very good book. I suggest you have some interest to really getting into though, it was fairly challenging.
u dont needa kno (08/09/05)

Poisonwood Bible
OMG it is a horrible book... i had to read it for school --don't waste your time.. i really didn't enjoy it..
Sasha (02/25/05)

Thought provoking. The lengths countries can go to in keeping the wealth for themselves at the expense of the people of another country. Missionary work? Got to wonder if people we know who are doing just that, is it possilble wealth is a factor?
India Foutain (02/16/05)

I absolutly loved this book. Though true it is depressing you can't help but feel that Nathan got exactlly what he deserved
CJ (01/21/05)

Best book listened to in quite a while-and I read a lot!
Alex (01/11/05)

Well written book that shows the hipocracy of the American governmant and the ignorance of the American people very well. The character of Rachel is a classic example of a typical middle/upper class American woman (i.e very ignorant and naive to what is going on in the world around her). All Americans (and Europeans as myself) to read this book should feel ashamed of our nations for exploiting many of the third world countries for our own good and to improve of our way of life. The book shows highly how the American government used the "fear tactic" to justify their being in The Congo/Zaire, the "fear factor" being making the American people believe that the people of The Congo/Zaire (and other colonised countries) were actually a threat to America and the American people. Well done to Barbera Kingsolver for trying to open peoples eyes to the shocking truth.
Anonymous (01/02/05)

wonderful stuff..couldn't put it down
Nicole (12/23/04)

I am 18 years old and I read this book in my English Literary class, and I enjoyed it more than most of the books I have read in school. It was very well-written and I enjoyed the way Kingsolver wrote each part of the book. The allusions to the bible were also very interesting and I enjoyed how each character evolved through the book.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.

Y S M B, I'll S Y