What readers think of Girl With A Pearl Earring, plus links to write your own review.

Girl With A Pearl Earring

by Tracy Chevalier

Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier X
Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Dec 1999, 240 pages
    Dec 2000, 240 pages

There are currently 55 reader reviews for Girl With A Pearl Earring

David C.

It's an incredible experience. You experience the story in a way that parallels the experience of Vermeer's paintings. How can an author write a piece of fiction that feels so true yet has so little to go on? I'm mesmerized and now obsessed with Vermeer's paintings and in love with Greit, the girl in the painting.
Louise

A fantastic and detailed work of art, that has as many layers as the painting itself.

This book is an excellent book to read. It's enjoyable and informative at the same time. I really liked this book because it had a great plot, and just the right amount of details. This book is a great choice for the high school student. This is one of my favorite books. (age 14 )
Leila

You can trapped alongside the main character in all her trials and tribulations. You wish for her happiness and cry for pains. You really get stuck in her world, and can't get out until the last page. It's marvelous.
Jessica

I loved reading this book. Through the narration you were able to experience life in 17th century Holland, and get a glimpse into the life of an extremely interesting girl.
Irene Tomson

I'm Irene Tomson (16!!) from Holland, and I read the book "girl with a pearl earring" last year. I have seen the painting of Vermeer a couple of times in The Hague and I really like the painting. As I imagine a lot of people do, I was really drawn to the idea of not knowing who this girl in this famous portret was. And reading this book made me imagine only more about the possibilities of who this could be.
I really enjoyed the book, the only weird thing was reading Dutch names and reading about Dutch places and thing, in English!! But I love it. I really like art, and this book makes you look at it just as the painter (might) has done.
Mike

Chevalier really envisions seventeenth-century Holland by reincarnating Johannes Vermeer's paintings and brings an amusing tale of a young women to life.
Lam

This novel was great! Chevailer did a marvelous job enableing the reader to picture the whole story and see everything as Griet saw. Her ability to even "show" voices, as when Griet describes her mothers voice

<< a cooking pot, a flagon >>

made the novel even more interesting. I'm glad this book was assigned for my summer reading. It's a great book for highschool students like me, who enjoy reading and history.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: African Europeans
    African Europeans
    by Olivette Otele
    The nexus of Africans and Europeans is not a recent historical development. Rather, the peoples of ...
  • Book Jacket: The Killing Hills
    The Killing Hills
    by Chris Offutt
    The personified hills of the novel's title foreshadow the mood of this brooding and ominous tale. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vixen
    The Vixen
    by Francine Prose
    Recent Harvard graduate Simon Putnam has been rejected from grad school and has thus returned to his...
  • Book Jacket: How the Word Is Passed
    How the Word Is Passed
    by Clint Smith
    With legislatures around the U.S. rushing to ban the teaching of critical race theory, it's clear ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

The Temple House Vanishing
    by Rachel Donohue

A modern gothic page-turner set in a Victorian mansion in Ireland.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel

An evocative coming-of-age World War II story from the author of The Book of Lost Names.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N