MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Angels & Demons, plus links to write your own review.

Angels & Demons

by Dan Brown

Angels & Demons

May 2000, 480 pages
    Jun 2001, 480 pages

There are currently 56 reader reviews for Angels & Demons

Joseph Sta Ana (04/07/16)

Angels and Demons
Angels and Demons is a very fascinating read. In the two days it took for me to read it, it really kept to the edge of my seat; it was something really worth reading. The chase, the mystery and cleverness of the Illuminati and the modern world is a clever take on history. After reading it, it kept me baffled if all the facts are real, just like how Michael Crichton does on his books and stories. The story itself is the Illuminati Diamond; readers can't help but stare at it's wonderful ingenuity.
shubhangi (11/13/15)

best book by brown
Best book ever, for a fact-loving as well as mystery-loving person.
enakshie (10/31/13)

awesome read
It is an exceptionally good book and the various facts and twists makes it a fun read . A book impossible to put down . I was really addicted to it and finished it in just 2 days. I would seriously like to read more books similar to ANGELS AND DEMONS.
a fantabulous thriller.......
Sarah (08/15/13)

& -
I found the book to be paradoxically entertaining and annoying. On the plus side, It is a good story with a lot of twists. I appreciate the fast pace and the layers of discovery, which even shock scholars like Langdon et al. Over and over. Annoying.
Moreover, I definitely felt similar to Mister Lennox concerning the thesaurus issue - there is an indulgent use of obscure words that only loosely describe what is intended throughout. The inaccuracies are very disappointing as they throw a shadow of novelty to the novel which then, for me, makes the theme of God and Catholicism seem devaluing. It didn't really sit right with me. I can see why it has became so popular because it seems so sensational, and maybe it seems to give the reader more fulfillment than an average novel in terms of historical and cultural knowledge - but it is a load of bollocks, really.
MitchMars (07/10/13)

Waste of good paper
Hard to add more to the astute, John Lomax review. How anyone, who appreciates books, and is over twenty one could consider Angles and Demons more than trite, (language, characterization) clumsy, misinformed, melodrama, not worthy of the most banal science fiction is mind boggling. A waste of good paper!
John Lomax (11/13/11)

A successful hack at work
This novel is decidedly hack work. I cannot quite understand how a book this badly researched and written ever made past the fact checkers and copy editors. Simon & Schuster ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting one of their leading authors look so bad. I guess that one best seller inevitably leads to another, no matter how awkwardly written and inaccurate the next book is. I must say that Angels and Demons has relieved me of any urge to read The Da Vinci Code. What are my principal complaints? Brown displays no ear for the English language. He cannot HEAR what he writes, or plainly his writing would not be so very clunky. He seems to be the kind of writer who takes words from a thesaurus without any feeling either for the denotations or the connotations of the words that he finds. Thus he uses words that are ALMOST right time after time after time. They are off just enough to produce a distinct "clang" when read. The effect is jarring. The book has a pseudo-profound texture that is one mark of a self-important but mediocre writer. Symbology? Why not semiotics, the term that the academic world actually uses? And how many factual mistakes can Brown make? I lost count. His translations of Latin and Italian are frequently off and sometimes flat wrong, but I admit that his mistranslations usually serve his story nicely. Any reasonably well-read layperson would have a better grasp of recent science than he exhibits. Historical accuracy? Forget about it! Brown's characters are endlessly "shocked" by information that could easily be gleaned from TIME magazine. The same goes for Brown's (mis)understanding of Christian theology, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Vatican. His grasp of the layout of Rome is less firm than what a tourist with a good street map might pick up in a few days. And could he not afford to hire someone to draw him an accurate map of Rome? His big manifesto in chapter 94 is maudlin, trite, and embarrassing. Why read the book? I kind of liked the movie. I mean, who doesn't like Tom Hanks? Plus, the screenwriters actually know how to write. I have to admire the way that they reworked this dog into something coherent. When I saw a copy of the book for $3 at Big Lots, I thought, "Why not?" About 20-25 chapters in I had become desensitized enough to its fundamental badness that I stayed around to find out how it turned out. It's a decent story, badly written. I congratulate Dan Brown on making the most of sloppy research and limited writing skills. Nice work if you can get it, and plainly Brown can.
Tany Thomas (07/01/10)

thrilling.......
this is the best book i have ever read....this is a superb thriller......hats off to dan brown for this wonderful creation.he has written this with a meticulous planning and every scientific invention mentioned in this book is true..i cant express my feelings....its simply superb and thrilling
Finfayet Frost (01/10/10)

Angels and Demons
Angels and Demons is a page turner from the very beginning. It contains a little bit of everything including a little romance, drama, science fiction and lots of action. But what had my eyes glued to the pages was the amount of mysteries and questions that came with every moment. If you're worried about getting lost, this book didn't have so many characters that you couldn't keep up but it didn't have so little to where it was too intimate to focus on the main plot. For those who like to watch the movies because reading is just not your thing, read the book because the movie is really just not worth it. To say the movie was terrible would be an understatement. So if you're looking for the next great book for your book club or you're just tired of the same old love stories spice it up and learn about anti matter and what happens in the selection of the pope process when every candidate is kidnapped because of religion, in Angels and Demons.

• Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

H Now B C?