Reader reviews and comments on Three Cups of Tea, plus links to write your own review.

Three Cups of Tea

Jan 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 79 reader reviews for Three Cups of Tea

review

not to great
Yes, this book was deeply inspiring, but I felt it was extremely hard to get through. I found myself bored at the middle. I feel if it were not written by someone else, and it was Mortenson himself telling the story it would have been a lot more interesting.
alex

boring
I did not find this book very interesting but that is just my opinion because I like more of the action packed adventures.
America First

Why not here?
I enjoyed the book and I know everyone is clamoring to do so much for others in other countries. But where are the "heroes" for the US? Our schools are being torn apart by the "terrorists" among us: Gangs, gang killings, drop outs, special interests, acceptable low achievement, little enforcement of our drug and immigration laws, uneducated teens wandering around with no idea of what's next. Maybe the author can start a program to help us move forward.
Taniya

Inspiring,but a little biased...and authors need to get there facts checked
I read this book after getting great reviews about it online,and also its story line did intrigue me. Greg Mortenson's story is so inspiring and so full of passion it does motivate me in his lines.
The writing skill in this book isn't as expected from a bestseller - but then I suppose the authors needed to get their work and mission to be put out to people to help them get sponsors. What irked me here in the book was some reference to India being a Hindu neighbor (please do check in with your facts-its a secular country-it has almost 2.5million -3million Muslims,apart from various other religions). I do understand the bias (towards Pakistan) to the Kargil conflict in the book,as they were working in Pakistan and were being informed about their side of the story.
Vivian McCormack

Not a page turner...
The book was Okay. But can't help thinking will all that is going on in the world today... these "schools" are going to wind up being used to educate terrorist so they can bomb the hell out of our cities again. Why not put all that money into good use right here... There are children starving in Appalachia!
bubbles

dull
Tree cups of tea was a very dull book in my opinion ! I had to read the book for a project for school and I got very bored every time I read a chapter in the book ! I think it should have been more exciting !
The T-A-N-E

Painful to read, despite the great storyline.
The writing of this book pained my soul more each page. The metaphors are outright awful. This one really got to me (more so than the other thousands):

"The images, like stones buried among coals to bake loaves of kurba, are too hot to touch." -in reference to a girl who's sister died, trying to remember events.

Had this book not been a school assignment, I would rather have shoved glass under my eyelids than ever try to read it. The writing is atrocious, and made my reading experience utterly terrible. The only reason I didn't put a 1 for the rating was because the story is amazing. Let's be honest, this guy did more than what most people could imagine doing, and he did it well. Kudos to him. However, the way it was illustrated through words literally made me want to stick my finger in a pencil sharpener. This has ridiculously bad writing. Bad bad bad. I've read depressed teenagers' poems with better metaphors.
Eva

Inspiring story - poorly written
I am very impressed with the inspiring and uplifting quest of one man to make a difference. The subject of this book motivates and owes but the quality writing is so poor that I find myself having to put the book down to recover. Most sentences start with "Mortenson....." The plot is very linear and it ignores many other characters that could have brought more dimension and interest to the story line.

• Book Jacket: The Price We Pay
    The Price We Pay
    by Marty Makary
    The Hippocratic Oath is one of the oldest affidavits in history, originating in ancient Greece. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Fountains of Silence
    The Fountains of Silence
    by Ruta Sepetys
    The Spanish Civil War and its aftermath was a complicated period in history. The issues each side ...
  • Book Jacket: Curious Toys
    Curious Toys
    by Elizabeth Hand
    In Curious Toys, Elizabeth Hand tells the story of Vivian, a 14-year-old girl disguised as a boy ...
  • Book Jacket: Your House Will Pay
    Your House Will Pay
    by Steph Cha
    Steph Cha's novel Your House Will Pay shows how a legacy of violence and injustice can ripple ...

Nothing to See Here
    by Kevin Wilson

A moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning caring for two children with remarkable abilities.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D