Reader reviews and comments on Three Cups of Tea, plus links to write your own review.

Three Cups of Tea

Jan 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 79 reader reviews for Three Cups of Tea

Charlotte Harris

The Presidential Candidates Need to Read This Book
Someone in my bookclub found this book and had us all read it, otherwise I might not have picked it up. I am so glad to have the book's information and perspective now, when our country is once again talking of murderous action in Afganistan and Pakistan, and both candidtaes are calling for greater escalation. We all - and they especially - need to be brought face to face with the facts: war in the middle east is morally wrong and strategically misguided. This book, by telling a story of some of the people there, is the most effective teacher we could have.
Thank you Greg Mortenson and David Relin.
Lucky Duke

Heart warming & motivating
I loved the message of this book. I can’t help but wish that those in powerful positions would read this book and talk to Greg. I truly believe that much could be learned from his approach to the evil that is prevalent in that region and other regions as well. It was very motivating. I want to become involved in helping make a difference. May God be with him!
Joe jet

A Great Earth and Mind Moving book!
I believe that every kid in the USA should read this book for it is so inspiring that it made me want to get off the couch and build something. As a kid my self Greg Mortenson & David O. Relin show how Dr. Greg simi normal american collage student reached out to the kids in Pakistan and change the world and the lives of many people. He Explains how a know buddy with too little money to buy a house can act for peace on earth by building schools. Instead of using guns, Greg Mortenson uses education to shape a more perfect world. After reading this book you are inclined to think differently about the worlds way of gaining peace and understanding. The reason I think my peers should read this book is simply because understanding is a two way street.
Tim Davison

Not meant to Be Read as a Novel
I noticed some earlier reviewers carped about the writing style. This is not a novel, but a true account of a current mission. This is the inspiration that all readers should look to. The geographical odyssey aside, the fact that one man could and is making a difference in these times of manufactured fear and war is simply incredible. I will use this as an exemplar of a true hero's journey in my High School English classes. Everyone should require their children to read this account - regardless of the writing style.
JKennedy

Three Cups of Tea
Wow! Greg Mortenson clearly demonstrates the power of education and more importantly, the power of education for girls particularly in impoverished societies. Too bad this wasn't required reading for everyone in government. If we as a nation were to take Greg's lead and work to really understand the cultures outside our own, then use our money and resources to help educate the children then we would likely have a much more cooperative world. The message here is simple - provide all children with an education and they will grow up to be contributing members of their society; doctors, teachers, etc. instead of suicide killers. I know Greg has been nominated for the Nobel Peace prize, and I surely hope he will be nominated year-after-year until he wins - he deserves it.
Beth M

A compelling path to peace
I found the book to be inspiring. It isn't a book about Mortenson's courage or ingenuity, though both of these things come through. It is more a book about how to go about peace through acts of grace. His ideas about promoting peace through education and other aide strike a deep cord in our modern self centered world. The book is also about a life and what turns it has taken. It is in every sense a "hero's" journey, though I strongly believe Mortenson would disagree with the title. In as much as all of us have choices to make and may either leave a positive mark or vanish without legacy, this book inspires us to take up the journey and face the challenges along the way with persistence and single minded determination.
Marie

I couldn't put it down! Fascinating and inspiring
A non-fiction book that reads like a novel. This book is fascinating for the inside glimpse it gives into a part of the world most of us will never experience and which is very misunderstood, if not ignored, by Americans. Greg comes off as a very genuine person, not as a self-centered egoist. In many cases he explicitly describes times when he experienced rejection, failure, self-doubt but persevered. What is incredible is that he is just an ordinary man but driven by his commitment to other people. Other people have commented about whether he could be helping Americans at home, but if you look at the big picture he is helping us all as human beings. He is not asking others to NOT help Americans, but for people who agree with his goals to support humanity and girls in particular.
Kathryn

Unbelievably True!
This book had a serious impact on me. Maybe it reads like fiction because it flies in the face of what we commonly believe to be true. Accepting people as they are? Not make them fill our mold of what is best? There is no way it can be as easy as using the force of education to change the world! Or can it?

Greg Mortenson's approach to the Muslim world worked. It's too bad none of our leadership recognizes the power in giving people what they need - and in their own way. Three Cups of Tea should be put in the hands of everyone who can read. No wonder its been on the best seller list for so long.

A powerful story and although unbelievable -- true.

• Book Jacket: Curious Toys
    Curious Toys
    by Elizabeth Hand
    In Curious Toys, Elizabeth Hand tells the story of Vivian, a 14-year-old girl disguised as a boy ...
  • Book Jacket: Your House Will Pay
    Your House Will Pay
    by Steph Cha
    Steph Cha's novel Your House Will Pay shows how a legacy of violence and injustice can ripple ...
  • Book Jacket: Divide Me By Zero
    Divide Me By Zero
    by Lara Vapnyar
    Divide Me By Zero begins with an encounter between the narrator, Katya Geller, a 40-something mother...
  • Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...

The In-Betweens
    by Mira Ptacin

"A fascinating history of an American community of Spiritualists... a fabulous read."
    —Elizabeth Gilbert

Ordinary Girls
    by Jaquira Díaz

Reminiscent of Tara Westover's Educate and Roxane Gay's Hunger--a memoir that reads as electrically as a novel.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D