MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Three Cups of Tea, plus links to write your own review.

Three Cups of Tea

Jan 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 80 reader reviews for Three Cups of Tea

Carol

Learn a Lesson.
For all those people who were too sidetracked by the writing...GET OVER IT. You don't see the forest for the trees! Look beyond and see the story of what a person can do for others. It serves as an example to all of us in this day of the Me First society. IT IS NOT SELF SERVING. I have seen Mortensen on Book TV and on the TODAY show. He is a modest man. I wish more Americans would learn a lesson from this man and others like him. I thank God for people like him.
Charlotte Harris

The Presidential Candidates Need to Read This Book
Someone in my bookclub found this book and had us all read it, otherwise I might not have picked it up. I am so glad to have the book's information and perspective now, when our country is once again talking of murderous action in Afganistan and Pakistan, and both candidtaes are calling for greater escalation. We all - and they especially - need to be brought face to face with the facts: war in the middle east is morally wrong and strategically misguided. This book, by telling a story of some of the people there, is the most effective teacher we could have.
Thank you Greg Mortenson and David Relin.
Lucky Duke

Heart warming & motivating
I loved the message of this book. I can’t help but wish that those in powerful positions would read this book and talk to Greg. I truly believe that much could be learned from his approach to the evil that is prevalent in that region and other regions as well. It was very motivating. I want to become involved in helping make a difference. May God be with him!
Joe jet

A Great Earth and Mind Moving book!
I believe that every kid in the USA should read this book for it is so inspiring that it made me want to get off the couch and build something. As a kid my self Greg Mortenson & David O. Relin show how Dr. Greg simi normal american collage student reached out to the kids in Pakistan and change the world and the lives of many people. He Explains how a know buddy with too little money to buy a house can act for peace on earth by building schools. Instead of using guns, Greg Mortenson uses education to shape a more perfect world. After reading this book you are inclined to think differently about the worlds way of gaining peace and understanding. The reason I think my peers should read this book is simply because understanding is a two way street.
Tim Davison

Not meant to Be Read as a Novel
I noticed some earlier reviewers carped about the writing style. This is not a novel, but a true account of a current mission. This is the inspiration that all readers should look to. The geographical odyssey aside, the fact that one man could and is making a difference in these times of manufactured fear and war is simply incredible. I will use this as an exemplar of a true hero's journey in my High School English classes. Everyone should require their children to read this account - regardless of the writing style.
JKennedy

Three Cups of Tea
Wow! Greg Mortenson clearly demonstrates the power of education and more importantly, the power of education for girls particularly in impoverished societies. Too bad this wasn't required reading for everyone in government. If we as a nation were to take Greg's lead and work to really understand the cultures outside our own, then use our money and resources to help educate the children then we would likely have a much more cooperative world. The message here is simple - provide all children with an education and they will grow up to be contributing members of their society; doctors, teachers, etc. instead of suicide killers. I know Greg has been nominated for the Nobel Peace prize, and I surely hope he will be nominated year-after-year until he wins - he deserves it.
Beth M

A compelling path to peace
I found the book to be inspiring. It isn't a book about Mortenson's courage or ingenuity, though both of these things come through. It is more a book about how to go about peace through acts of grace. His ideas about promoting peace through education and other aide strike a deep cord in our modern self centered world. The book is also about a life and what turns it has taken. It is in every sense a "hero's" journey, though I strongly believe Mortenson would disagree with the title. In as much as all of us have choices to make and may either leave a positive mark or vanish without legacy, this book inspires us to take up the journey and face the challenges along the way with persistence and single minded determination.
Marie

I couldn't put it down! Fascinating and inspiring
A non-fiction book that reads like a novel. This book is fascinating for the inside glimpse it gives into a part of the world most of us will never experience and which is very misunderstood, if not ignored, by Americans. Greg comes off as a very genuine person, not as a self-centered egoist. In many cases he explicitly describes times when he experienced rejection, failure, self-doubt but persevered. What is incredible is that he is just an ordinary man but driven by his commitment to other people. Other people have commented about whether he could be helping Americans at home, but if you look at the big picture he is helping us all as human beings. He is not asking others to NOT help Americans, but for people who agree with his goals to support humanity and girls in particular.

Cantoras
    by Carolina De Robertis
    Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis follows five characters who share a house, troubles, joys and parts...
  • Book Jacket: Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of V.
    The Book of V.
    by Anna Solomon
    In ancient Persia, Esther, a young Jewish woman, parades herself in front of the king in a desperate...
  • Book Jacket: How to Be an Antiracist
    How to Be an Antiracist
    by Ibram X. Kendi
    Ibram X. Kendi opens How to Be an Antiracist with a personal story he finds shameful in retrospect, ...

The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton

Romance and danger are locked into Cleeton's suitcase for this journey to 1935 Key West.

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Of Bears and Ballots

An Alaskan Adventure in Small-Town Politics

A charming account of holding local office with an entertaining, quirky cast of characters.

A S Louder T W