Reader reviews and comments on How I Live Now, plus links to write your own review.

How I Live Now

Jul 2005, 208 pages

There are currently 54 reader reviews for How I Live Now

Sanne

Mwah
I read the book How I live now for school. I'm from the Netherlands and it's really hard for me to understand the story line. Also there are some questions about in which war the story is about. I think it's in a unnamed war against an unnamed enemy. I hope I make the test about this book good, but I think it's really hard to understand the story. I'll do the best I can, the story is hard but nice though. It's not boring like other schoolbooks and I enjoyed reading it although it was hard for me. =)

(I'm from the Netherland so maybe my English is not so good in this review.)

Greets from the Netherlands, Sanne.
Natalia

My impressions
Really, I am not an admirer of contemporary authors. I prefer classic. Having taken this book at the library only for a pleasant look, I was greatly surprised to find out that it was so good! The sense of humour of Mrs.Rosoff is excellent, the plot is colourful and well thought-out.
Of course I am a little bit struck by love affair between cousins...Isn't it an incest? :-)
Nevertheless, good book! I would recommend it to be read.
Probably, we will understand that any war was/is/will be the greatest evil among people?.
pixi

Wow
I have read many books but I must say its one of the best. I picked it up just because of it's cover, whilst I was in the shop I read the first pages and was amazed. when I took it home I read it until i finished it. some parts made me cry and others happy. I now have my favorite parts book marked so I can read one or two of my favorite parts as soon as I pick it up
mini

My Feed Back
Well to me this book has a unique main idea and it's describes with passion but for some reason or another I couldn't stand that the writer (Meg Rosoff) didn't use " ". It must be that I'm a writer myself and that I've used it all my life. But aside from that i didn't think that the needed have to have a stable base. The idea that they were cousins didn't bother me much since my parents are cousins. But I can't make a comparison since my parents were betrothed and between me and you i don't think their as fond about each other like Daisy and Edmond. But i keep rereading it and i can't figure out why he loved her and vice versa. The ending really had an impact on me and now when I look at my garden I get a bit to emotional. In the beginning Edmond was happy and full of life and so you could say that why she loved him but then in the end when he was 'broken' then why does she still love him. But I'm happy that she does because if she didn't then I most likely would have hated the book. It's beautiful knowing that their love lasted a war. (:
Becky

Well,
This book was amazing. Its about a subject i never thought I'd enjoy, but its totally gripping. Ms Rosoff, please write a sequel because i want a happy ending!!!!!
Gemma

Continued?
I loved this book, I have never read a book on war before and usually I would not have wanted to but I asked my Nan to get it for me for Christmas, I thought it was a story about a girl who met a boy in the country and she liked him etc. but then I worked out about the war and what was going on and I never put a book away and not finish it and I am glad I didn't start with this one. It gave me a new look on war and what happened to some people. I would definatly recomend this book to readers of my age (13-16) and I would like to read a sequel.
chickybabe

great
i think that it was a very good book it's really relistic
Josie

I agree with the critics that this book is powerful and that the voice is unique, compelling, and consistent. The plot is mesmerizing and like other readers, I could not put it down. My one objection is to the absence of standard punctuation. I realize that the author wanted to present the story as people actually think and/or speak, however, given the loss of so many values and standards in our society, (such as, instead of being a nation that builds/creates quality products, we have become a nation of consumers) I fear that this style of writing will undermine one of the few things still intact, our language. Punctuation was created to enhance communication. To abandon it even in part could become a trend which publishers may come to view as "hot" and therefore salable, thus untimately weakening our abilities to communicate. Mankind did not begin with fully developed languages, but rather with sticks and stones. Think how long it took to develop our beautiful and functional English language. Can we afford to destroy it with trendy writing styles just to make a buck?

• Book Jacket: The Seine
    The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino
    Of the 24 members who reviewed Elaine Sciolino's The Seine: The River that Made Paris for BookBrowse...
  • Book Jacket: Fireborne
    Fireborne
    by Rosaria Munda
    Inspired by classical political theory and the French Revolution, Rosaria Munda's YA debut Fireborne...
  • Book Jacket: Frankissstein
    Frankissstein
    by Jeanette Winterson
    Jeanette Winterson's futurist sci-fi/alternative history hybrid unfolds in two main timelines. In ...
  • Book Jacket: Unbreakable
    Unbreakable
    by Richard Askwith
    In this well-researched biography, journalist Richard Askwith takes readers on a journey into 1930s ...

The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino

"A soulful, transformative voyage along the body of water that defines the City of Light."
    —Lauren Collins

The In-Betweens
    by Mira Ptacin

"A fascinating history of an American community of Spiritualists... a fabulous read."
    —Elizabeth Gilbert

Win Wild Game

Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me (Memoir)

A Best of Fall Title from: People, Entertainment Weekly, BuzzFeed, NPR, BBC, and many more!

T Bite T B