Reader reviews and comments on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, plus links to write your own review.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

by Mark Haddon

The Curious Incident  of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Jun 2003, 240 pages
    May 2004, 240 pages

There are currently 46 reader reviews for The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Oliver Barnicoat (04/10/04)

Being the father of a child with learning difficulties I have a slightly biased view of this book. It can be hard being a parent, and even harder being the child. Fustration is common. My personal view is that Mark has done an excellent job of bringing together the different aspects of a work of fiction, insight into the mind of an individual with asbergers and portraying through his eyes the real stress and tragedy that can befall carers. and I thoroughly reccommend this book to anyone wanting a riveting read.
Anonymous (03/23/04)

I'm only seventeen but i found the book extremely tedious and boring. I doubt Haddon has ever worked with an autisic child in his life. My father used to be the director of an autistic school and now owns his own business. I've met people of all ages with autism and i find the character Christopher unbelievable. I think Haddon should do a little more research before he jumps into his next project.
Dianne (02/28/04)

I have an 11 year old son with Asperger's Syndrome and I am a teacher of a 15 year old boy with Asperger's in my Year 10 English class. I have read much literature relating to the syndrome but nothing has even come close to the way 'The Curious Incident' has, in giving me an understanding of what is going on in the head of these people. I have two copies for the reasons others have stated and I also have an audio CD version. I have recommended the book to the local library and I believe that any parent, relative teacher, neighbour or friend of someone with Asperger's Syndrome should read it. My Year 10 English student read it in one night and his written comment to me was, and I quote,

"...it kept me interested because I could understand and relate to the character of Christopher. I think that the way his mind works is similar to mine...I really did enjoy it as much as painting my cars or bush bashes."

And that's saying something!
Micka (09/30/03)

This book is great. I love it. It is funny and sad. It's a mystery, it's a comedy, and it's a heartbreaker!!
I recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy a great book and have fun! I don't want to lend mine out to anyone because I can't live without it! It's too cool!
Paul Lithgow (09/24/03)

The Curious Incident... is a wonderful read. Deceptively easy-going, it brims with ideas and taught me things I never knew. The asperger suffering narrator drew my attention to normal human isdiosynrcacies, that, when viewed through his eyes of Christopher Boone, highlight what a tragically confusing place the world must be for an autistic person.

The lack of metaphorical description and the books simple style is enlightening. Christopher can emotionlessly describe emotional events with great clarity and this is oddly moving. We recognise from his descriptions what emotion is happening yet through his writing, we are moved further by the fact that we realise he has no understanding of the emotion involved.

The odd pathos we feel for the narrator is not the only redeeming quality of this book. Mark Haddon has wonderful sense of humour and his plot, as it unfolds, is wickedly clever. Of course, we will never know if this is an entirley accurate portrayal of Aspergers syndrome, yet having studied psychology to an extent, it appears to be a wonderful account of what it might be like to view the world in this way.

An amazing, funny and touching book from a distinct new literary voice. This book should, if there is any justice in the world, become a set text in schools.

The comment about buying two copies is true ... I don't want to loan my copy to anyone.
Julie (08/06/03)

One of the best books I have read this year. The way the author unfolds the real story of what is going on in this boy's life -- filtered through his autistic perception -- is incredible. This book is funny, sad, and funny-sad!

• Book Jacket: If We Were Villains

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R