Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- How do you think this novel bridges the gap between literature for adults and children?
- What do you think Haddon's illustrations add to the story and to our understanding of Christopher's character?
- Although seemingly ill equipped as the narrator of a book, Christopher's character succeeds in eliciting a wide range of emotions in the reader. How do you think Haddon uses his protagonists voice to touch his audience in such a way?
- Discuss the relationship between father and son in the novel. How well do you think Christopher's father copes with his son's condition?
- The author has used his extensive knowledge of Asperger's syndrome to allow us to see the world through Christopher's eyes, how do you think the story further enhances our attachment to the character and our enjoyment of the book in general?
- How far do you think the author has used Christopher's alienating condition to expose intricate truths about our modern lives? Do you think this was his intention in Christopher's exposure of his parent's secret?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of Vintage.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.