Summer Sale! Save 20% today and get access to all our member benefits.

What readers think of The Gospel According To Larry, plus links to write your own review.

The Gospel According To Larry

May 2003, 256 pages

There are currently 56 reader reviews for The Gospel According To Larry

matt

Is it real?
I really liked the book, and read it a second time for school, but I really wonder if the whole thing about it being real is a hoax. If so, it was a well done one, i went on thegospelaccordingtolarry.com the other day for school research and found a blog of a guy "back in walden pond" So it makes me think the book could be real. NOTE that the site made no reference to the book whatsoever.

(Editor's Note: The Gospel According to Larry is fiction. The website is owned by the author Janet Tashjian. Don't you think that if it WAS true, and Larry had been as famous as that in real life, you'd be able to find at least a few articles about him in the mainstream press?)
cody

the gospel according to larry
What I want to know is were these events true, I've been to the web site but I think it would be hard to pull this whole thing to be fake so I think it is based on a real story.
Flor

is it a true story or not?
I think this book is awesome, but I don't understand if it is true or not, the author says that Josh himself gave her the story to write but maybe she just made that up. I loved the book though, I found it very interesting. I am 14 years old going to high school and I think people my age should read it, not only my age of course, I think everybody should read it, the book is AWESOME.
=]
Joanna

Just read this...
I just read this book and I must say that I was gripped. It was extremely well written in quite a quirky style and I enjoyed every moment of it - but I did find the ending very anti-climatic.

I, too, am confused as to whether it was non-fiction or fiction. I know the author explained why she apparently published it as fiction, and it is quite a credible story, however, I wonder whether this is just a hook to get people to read it?

I noticed at the front of the book that it said "All characters are purely fictional and any similarities to any people, living or dead are purely coincidential."

This leads me to believe that perhaps it is fiction, although this is written in all fiction books and perhaps they didn't remove it?
Jes

Still thinking
This was a very fine book. It was referred to me by a librarian who was helping me find summer reading. After I read it, I went right back to the bookstore for the sequel. I'm still slightly confused though, is it a true story? I found it under Non-Fiction but it seems to extreme to be real.

It wasn't the most amazing book I've ever read, but it got me to think. Any book that can get my mind to wander is something worthwhile.

I'm 17 years old, and reccomend it as a starter book for middle schoolers or young highschoolers. It's that pre-read before any serious literature.
leslie

Wonderful book!!
My friend first told me about this book and said i must read it so I did and i ended up loving it. I believe Josh/Larry has a great point about how we left our lives revolve around all the "stuff" in the world. I recommened this book to everyone and anyone.
steffan

its very good
i thought it was a very good book. It was very well written, and it is interesting to read. Ii did not like how it ended becaause it seemed like Josh was just taking the easy way out. It made me wonder wether or not it was fiction or nonfiction. Iit is written like nonfiction but the events in the book lead me to belive it is fiction.
Bismah

Great!
This book really inspired me to cut down on my shopping. The plot was very well though out, and the characters were fit for the story. I would recommend this book to anyone. I have no doubt in my mind that this story might be actually true.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Night of Baba Yaga
    The Night of Baba Yaga
    by Akira Otani, Sam Bett
    When Yoriko Shindo gets into a brawl on a busy street in 1970s Tokyo, she has no idea what the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Anthropologists
    The Anthropologists
    by Aysegül Savas
    A documentary filmmaker, Asya is interested in the "unremarkable grace" of daily life, "the slow and...
  • Book Jacket: Mood Swings
    Mood Swings
    by Frankie Barnet
    This book begins with a bombastic premise. Seemingly fed up with the heating planet, the world's ...
  • Book Jacket: The Ballad of Jacquotte Delahaye
    The Ballad of Jacquotte Delahaye
    by Briony Cameron
    Our titular heroine's story begins in Yáquimo, Santo Domingo. Jacquotte Delahaye is a young ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The 1619 Project
by Nikole Hannah-Jones
An impactful expansion of groundbreaking journalism, The 1619 Project offers a revealing vision of America's past and present.

Beliefs are what divide people. Doubt unites them

L T C O of the B