We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of The Gospel According To Larry, plus links to write your own review.

The Gospel According To Larry

May 2003, 256 pages

There are currently 56 reader reviews for The Gospel According To Larry

Michael

This book rocked.
I dont understand why anyone wouldnt like this book. Who cares what you think of Larry's ideas. Its still a great book with an amazing plot. I read the whole book in one sitting. The whole time i thought it was real. (aparently Im not the only one) Larry has inspired me to live a simpler life. (dont worry.. Im no groupie) Im already narrowing down my list of possesions... Anyway, I cant wait to read "Vote for Larry".

P.S. Im a freshman (14) but i recomend this book for all ages.

I, too, would like to know what the Authors e-mail address is. You should post it here or somthing.

Hi Michael: Visit the author's biography at BookBrowse and you'll find a link to her website. I don't believe she provides an email address but, like all authors, you can write to her c/o her publisher. You'll find contact details on her website. -- Davina, BookBrowse.com
MooCow

Good Book
This book was great. The characters were not "perfect" like

people are saying. Josh steals from his stepfather to get his point

across, Beth is an idiot and can not see that "Todd Terrific", the

jock, is using her. Betagold is a complete jerk, and everyone else

who says that they are anti-consumerists but into the Larry

hype the second the media gets hold of it!

But, of course, flawed characters are what make a book

great. I mean, who wants to read about a perfect kid with a

perfect life?! Can you say BORING? The only thing i disliked

about the book was the ending, but I am looking forward to the

sequal: "Vote for Larry".

I just wanted to say this, thanks for listening.

PS: I am 14 years old, 15 in a month.
Kayla

Wow.
Wow. That's all I can say right now because I was blown away by this book. I started reading it at like 9:00 and finished it at like 1:30 (hey I'm a slow reader, sue me) and I just couldn't put this book down. I have to admit that the ending was a dissappointment, even though he did get the book published. I also am dissappointed that this is evidentally not a true story. I read the whole thing thinking it was a true story, and was inspired, yet people keep telling me it's a ficticous story. Oh well.
This is a great book for teens, as I am a Freshman in high school (14 yrs) and "HAD" to read this book for school. Boy was I wrong about it. I recomend it to everyone who likes contemporary (and sometimes humouros) stories.
By the way, please refrain from listening to any of those people who give it, say....1 STAR! They either need to get a life or are too old to read this book. Older people can't understand the wisdom of us teens, like Josh (not that I'm saying that I'm wise. Believe me. I'm anything BUT wise). But can't they understand that Josh was doing a GOOD THING? They call him a goody-two-shoes and stuff but still...LAY OFF THE GUY, WILL YA???!!!!!! sorry. had to get that out of my system.
Echo

I don't know why people would judge this book poorly.
It is an awesome book that requires us to think about what we do everyday, what we buy, where, own, etc.
It defies the latest trend in buying "brand clothes" such as Abercrombie, Hollister, and others.
Do we really need such things?
What Larry is telling us is to think about what he have in our possession and when we decide to add something.
The story also shows that people usually have two sides, and Larry's is expressed online, where confidence isn't an issue.
You can't see the other person, so therefore can't judge him/her.
Not only does it defy commercialism it also shows examples of other characteristics.
What the question you should be asking is:
Is this really a true story?
And if so WHERE IS THIS KID?
Christian

Awesome book totally couldn't put it down!! But I wasn't sure if this book was based off a true story... I guess I will have to find that out myself but it was good!!
Aixelsyd

Larry is just an average kid who decides to challenge the the every day consumer. He starts a website and preaches about the cult that is hi fashion and pop culture. No one know who he is, but everyone knows who he is. Then all at once his identity is released and he starts geting interviewed on talk shows about how he did it. But no one cares anymore about his views. He becomes part of pop culture and his teachings are lost completely. I loved this book becuase it makes you think about what commercialism is doing to the world.
Katie

I absolutley loved this book!! The plot as gripping and really made you feel like you were part of this very special, yet depressing journey as Josh Swenson struggles to find his true self, and by creating his alter ego larry can express his views on commercialism and life in general. If you want to see a different view on life this is a great book for you!!!
P.S. I am thirteen years old
Kelsey

This was a GREAT book! A friend recommended it to me, and I read it in less than 3 hours! It really opened my eyes to how much consumerism there really is in our society. It has really inspired me. I was a little disappointed because of the ending though. I didn't realize there was another one either, until I visited this webpage. But I'll be sure to pick up a copy! (13 yr old 8th grader)

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Ascent
    The Ascent
    by Adam Plantinga
    Adam Plantinga's brilliant debut novel, The Ascent, introduces readers to former Detroit police ...
  • Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...
  • Book Jacket: Our Moon
    Our Moon
    by Rebecca Boyle
    In Our Moon: How Earth's Celestial Companion Transformed the Planet, Guided Evolution, and Made Us ...
  • Book Jacket: Neighbors and Other Stories
    Neighbors and Other Stories
    by Diane Oliver
    The history of American segregation, along with changes to it in the 1960s, is sometimes taught and ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)