Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code

Mar 2003, 464 pages
    Mar 2006, 496 pages

There are currently 162 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

loucool57 (06/06/04)

I enjoyed this book. I felt like it contained enough information to convey a sense of conspiracy within a generally traditional and reputable institution such as the Catholic church. Any false information that Brown prints in this book should be forgiven since the genre of the novel is FICTION. Fiction meaning not fact, but fake.

I enjoyed it thoroughly without having to analyze every meticulous detail about it. It's fiction. Get over it.
Picobal (06/02/04)

Dan Brown throws a great number of conspiracy theories together and in that sense inspires you to dig deeper for actual reliable sources.
But before you start questioning your Sunday School lessons, take a look at http://www.ubcaustin.org/ubu_davincicode01.htm or the many books writtten that deals with the so-called facts in Brown's novel. After all, it is a novel, so he can get away with all the errors.
Besides the interesting theories he throws out, his characters are mundane, the twists predictable, and his villans a repeat of his characters from Angels and Demons. If you want good historical fiction writing read anything by Bodie Thoene.
The one amazing concept in this book which I have never heard of before and am definitely going to check out is the Golden Ratio - so I'm reading Mario Livio's book and will see what I think.
william (05/22/04)

this book was juvenile. the story and his hooks are cliche and obvious. his descriptions evoke memories of "An Apple", childish and without eloquence. the history seems to be a pure farce. why this book gets such good review, I could never say, but it depresses me to think that this is what is being read and then praised by america right now.
Alex (05/17/04)

An afterthought on the development of Christianity - Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' provides a great account of the varying reasons Constantine converted Rome to Christianity. Almost none of Dan Brown's 'scholarship' in this area or around the Council of Nicea stands up to even 15 minutes research. Still could have been an interesting theme for a thriller, however - but this is not it.
Alex (05/17/04)

If I could give this no stars, I would. I can't belive how popular it is.
From a European perspective, it shows (as so often) a worrying insularity amongst some US authors - the first 20 pages are a completely unjustifiable rant against the French, rather than good scene setting, and then we have the almost obligatory mad Englishman who won't let people into his estate unless they can identify the correct way to take tea...

The writing is equally appalling, with the author so keen to demonstrate how many 'facts' he knows - from the mundane, such as how many Eiffel Towers would line the permiter of the Louvre, to the more archaic and debateable details of goddess-worship - that all narrative momentum is lost.

If you did really like this book, can I suggest - as some people previously have - that you read 'Foucalt's Pendulum' by Umberto Eco. The writing is on a different plane, as is the deep understanding of his material that Eco possesses. If you are really interested in the conspiracy theory underpinning the book's plot, I would suggest reading 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail', by Baigent and Leigh, from whoch much of the material here has been lifted.

If you must read the book itself, borrow it from a friend. I am incredibly annoyed to have spent money on it.
Mandy (05/03/04)

i loved this book i hate to read ,this book kept me reading and i cpuldnt stop .The book would leave me on cliff hangers and it just kept me reading.I'm so glad i chose this book.The topics are so intersting and exciting .I would have to say this is my Favorite book ! IF you have not read it go out and read it !
samantha (05/03/04)

I hate to read unless it is a magazine, or chicken soup for the teenage soul type of stuff, but the I was assigned to read this book in english, once I started to read the Da Vinci Code I was hook right away, I don't know what people who rate this book witha 1 or a 2 are thinking because this is a wicked good bookI can't wait for the sequel. (I'm 17 by the way)
Shiela (04/30/04)

I enjoyed this book because it made me look at how my own beliefs have been formed by what I was taught. As a graduate of 12 years of Catholic school, I found it quite interesting that I found new information here. I would say it is a must read for anyone who says they are a "Christian". I can totally believe the Vatican has withheld entire books from the Bible!!

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All