Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code

Mar 2003, 464 pages
    Mar 2006, 496 pages

There are currently 162 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

KT Mac (08/23/04)

The De Vinci code a roller coaster of a read, enthralling, intriguing, thought provoking.
I couldn't put it down. Encourages you to explore the fact from the fiction, can't wait for
the sequel next summer, or to read more by Dan Brown.
Lauren8651 (07/28/04)

This novel was totally based on one-dimensional characters that give no depth to the story-line. The sole appeal of the book was revealing the facts and after a few hundred pages my interest fully died. I literally had to force myself to read the last 100 pages! If you find attraction to religion read it, otherwise leave the book in the store!!
Dan Moore (07/27/04)

This novel by Dan Brown is surely one of the greatest story tellers of our time. The constant twists and turns make this instant classic impossible to put down. As a reader, I feel fortunate to be a part of such a ground-breaking tale.
Anonymous (07/14/04)

I'm a teenage girl and not Christian. I found I enjoyed this book quite a bit, though I understand some of the arguments stated by those people who didn't like it. I think what you need to realise is that just because it is a work of Fiction, doesn't mean it's the story and the characters that matter most. I think Dan Brown created the characters and plots etc simply to communicate all the amazing ideas and interesting philosophies that he wanted to share with the world, so they will most probably not be the strongest areas. I agree that at times Langdon seems a bit dull and the speech is a bit empty, but I enjoyed the plot and thought it was a sufficient and interesting way to write the book. You cannot disagree that the stuff in it is worth investigating in some way, and basically a fiction novel is going to get a lot more publicity than another history book. I reccommmend the book to anyone who likes exploring new ideas and questioning old ones. Congrats Mr. Brown, I hope this book causes many people to become more questioning about their environment and their world. People need to go out and explore things for themselves as opposed to just accepting what people tell you.
Donald Cook (07/01/04)

A Biblical Scholar would certainly have problems with The Da Vinci Code due to its many contradictions to the Bible. However, not being a Biblical Scholar, I found the book to be exciting, thought-provoking and entertaining. From a Christianity viewpoint, the good news is it has ME thinking about and wondering about, what may be true and what may not be true. Before reading this book, frankly, I wasn't giving much thought to religion. So for those who condemn the book for the "fact vs fiction" inconsistencies it conjurs up, lighten-up and enjoy a good novel keeping in mind the passage Brown included from Napoleon, "The winners in history are usually the ones who write the history we read." So, how "real" is the history we have read???
Rich (07/01/04)

With 7.5 million copies sold, the fact is that Dan Brown has really touched on some themes that have got people talking and examining their beliefs. That's a good thing. That's what a good book does. In fact, not only is the book being made into a movie but I saw it's even inspired a tour to actually go and visit the locations behind the book (www.esoteric-explorations.com). That speaks volumes about the power of the ideas Brown has brought forth. Instead of relegating these ideas to a dull academic text, his brilliance was to build them into a compelling, fast-paced novel. I don't understand how you can fault him for that. And apparently, at least 7.5 million people agree.
Doug Barclay (06/23/04)

Most good thrillers pace themselves. That is they know that without plateaus and valleys you have no mountainous high points. The Da Vinci Code is a seamless series of revelations moving from one mysterious message to another, from one mystical revelation to another, or from one hidden box or chamber to another providing little topographical relief. The oh so secret cursive reproduced on page 298, which Brown tried to pump up as something terribly arcane over the next two pages, was immediately obvious as plain olde English done backwards.

Come on! This book consisted of one enigma, inside another, inside another, inside of...well, you get the idea. Sort of like one of those nesting Russian dolls, except instead of five there were 454 pages worth. And the barrage of endless breath grabbing movements is not sustained by the irony-laden dialogue Brown provides to Langdon and Neveu. The Da Vinci Code is a one trick pony.
Bookmanjb (06/06/04)

Whether or not "The Da Vinci Code" is a good book is, of course, a matter of opinion. What amazes me, as well as many others, judging from reviews posted here, is how badly written it is. I am not here writing about errors of fact, of which I could care less. Or whether or not it is suspenseful (which I found it not to be) or interesting (which I found it mildly to be). I'm writing about how BADLY written the book is. Bad grammar, terrible syntax, blocked metaphors, absurd similes, etc. etc. etc. For those of us for whom part of the pleasure of reading is in the author's use of language, this is a TERRIBLE book. I do not demand that every book I read be a timeless work of elegant and graceful prose, but there ARE minimum standards. And this book, time and again, failed to meet them.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review