Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Mar 2003, 464 pages
    Mar 2006, 496 pages

There are currently 162 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

lpa (02/24/04)

It never ceases to amaze me when someone like Celia, post a review of little or no knowledge on subjects that are beyond her interest or care. The facts in the book are just that, if you take the time to do a little research you would find that the book characters are fictional but the facts surrounding the plot are real. The book is not about V.Mary, but rather the true meaning of the Holy Grail. It is not a secret that Mary M. has been awashed in the scriptures by the church. Mr. Brown gives actual list of books that one can look up. Perhaps a "Nancy Drew" fan should stick to just that. Someday we shall all know the truth that Mary M. was indeed the person whom Jesus saw as the one to build on his idealism.
celia (02/23/04)

I give credit where it's due: I did keep turning the pages. But I was constantly bothered by some of his writing "tics": the Nancy Drew-ish endings to chapters, the mis-use of certain words (which the editor should have caught), and the frequent repetition of a character's name when "she" or "he" would have sufficed nicely. Brown's plotting is generally good, though I guessed some things early on, and I'm not all that clever. His characterization is poor. None of these characters came alive for me, with the possible exception of sad, rather monstrous Silas. I was bothered by errors about Leonardo and his work and I'm not terribly well informed in that area--so if I caught errors, well.... What kept me reading? Great gaps in my knowledge, I suppose. It's just that I'm not certain I was being supplied with facts. But, yes, this is a work of fiction. One last point: if the suppression of facts regarding the great importance of Mary Magdalene is supposed to represent the Catholic Church's elimination of the sacred feminine, why did the Church so elevate Mary, mother of Jesus?
Robb (02/23/04)

Is it true, could it be true. Brown is not onlya genius he is a revolutionary awakening the sleeping masses
Mike C. (02/19/04)

Interesting facts...Brilliant plot...Superb writing. WELL DONE MR. BROWN!!!
mike (02/09/04)

great book.....they should make a movie
Eva (02/08/04)

This book was brilliantly researched. The intrigue and weaving of clues was the best I have read in the mystery genre. It certainly created controversial debate regarding dogma of the catholic religion. Many of us had never heard of "Opus Dei" or The Priory of Scion. Consequently, we headed for lectures and further research to satisfy our curiosity. It proved to be exceedingly interesting. To substantiate the authenticty, many people were upset but needed to be reminded it WAS FICTION. My compliments to Dan for a job well done.
Polo (02/06/04)

There has been so much uproar over this book that now that it is being made into a movie, I can't help but smile. Mel Gibson's Movie is not even out yet.... The Church has called it borish and blasphemus. The devoute Christians call it a blantant effort to derail the scriptures of the Lord. The Opus Dei call it a work of satanism and of unfounded proof of involvement. The Priory of Sion, well who knows......
I find the book for what it is a factual/historical/artistic piece of fictional writing. But what if? Mr. Brown was putting a DaVince on us all....Not a painting but a Book......Think about it? What if this was all true except the location of the Grail.....Thank You Grand Master Brown.......
Sara from MN (02/05/04)

This is in response to Rivers posting. There is a code, actually several on the jacket of the book. If you look up the web site for the book (I found it using a search engine and typing in The Da Vince Code) it tells more about it. If you can break the code you should get a clue about what the next book is about. There is also a neat code game on this sight, maybe even two versions. Worth looking at. Reading the book will help with these games- plus it's a lot of fun!

• Book Jacket: Priestdaddy