MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code

Mar 2003, 464 pages
    Mar 2006, 496 pages

There are currently 162 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

Christoph Ackermann (01/18/05)

I am currently reading the DaVinci Code and have to say that I am a little bit disappointed. I will not go into the spiritual claims that Brown is making, but rather would like to highlight some basic (some might say trivial) errors.
I will just highlight some of the mistakes Brown makes regarding simple everyday items like cars. This might sound boring, but I think it highlights the general inaccuracy of the book and its bold statements.

1.   Regarding the ‘Smart Cat’, the Heroine claims that the car just consumes 1 liters per 100km, but a @Smart’ uses an average of 4.5 liters per 100km.

2.   Regarding the Taxi ride in Paris. Langdon tries to drive the Taxi, but being an American he cannot use a clutch (stereotype), so he accelerates to hard and the car tailgates away. European cars (especially Taxis) are mostly front wheel drive and would not tailgate, the few rear wheel drive cars used as taxis (usually Mercedes) are mostly fitted with an automatic. So there is no tail wagging.

3.   The drive in the Range Rover. The group tries to escape the police and heads into a forest. The butler is driving the car and gets the instruction to use the “emergency brake” to avoid using the brake lights. I never saw an emergency brake on a Range Rover and he surely does not suggest using the handbrake, as this action would result in the immediate loss of control over the car.

You might find these finding trivial, but I think they show how Brown alters information to suit his case. I leave to you to judge how this could be interpreted in regards to his claims about Christianity. I would like to admit that of course I am nagging about the most unimportant aspect of the book by picking out details like fuel consumption and the like.
However these details are usually "researchable" by the click of a button and I wonder why Brown chooses to mention these details in the first place. In fact he describes them so detailed that you have to wonder why as they are mostly irrellevant for most part of the story. If he feels so strongly about the fuel consumption then he should have looked it up or leave it out.
I think these details highlight the concern that Brown has spent most of his time making the story work, but it seems to fall apart once you scratch the surface.
TealRibbon (01/15/05)

I generally do not like mysteries...but this book was almost impossible to put down. I now plan to read more of Mr. Brown's work. Excellent reading!
Michelle (01/12/05)

Why someone give a 1 to this book. It should be ten. It is just a fiction. This book is awesome. I have never read any book like this one before.
Tito Torres (01/06/05)

I haven't read several books, this being said the Da Vinici Code has been the best book I have read. I have never been a religious person and this book has put more questions in mind and I know see religion in general inacurate. I believe that non one religion is moraly corect becuase no matter there are always those who critizes oposing religions with out knowing their true meaning. I'm 17 years old and haven't found my purpose in ife yet but this book has awaken an interest in me that I didn't know of. The study of theology.
kendall (12/21/04)

The Da Vinci Code is without a doubt the best novel I have ever read. It is an easy read merely due to the fact that it is so incredibly intriguing. Dan Brown did a wonderful job of mixing facts and imagination to create this wonderful novel. Many who bash this book do so because they cannot understand it or are far too religious to sit back and understand that it is a piece of literature, a fictional piece of literature at that.
Grace (12/17/04)

I thought this book provided a simple path into some very interesting and complex concepts. i also thought it was an inspirational look at art and archtecture down the ages. I thought the plot waqs fast paced and clever. I personally enjoyed the fact that i could get some of the codes before the scholars... of course i am sure this was a devise by Dan Brown to boost the readers self esteem... buti enjoyed the feeling none the less. I refuse to believe that anyone expected certain out comes... Teabing being "the teacher"... Fache's phone conversation being genuine... the sympathy you felt for Aringrossa and Silas... all absolutely insightful twists of fate and utterly unpredictable in my oppinion! Over all the book made us question certain things about faith. I'm certainly not saying I adopt all the theories by any means but it certainy makes me question more what i already suspected.
drama_queen (12/11/04)

I loved this book! There are so many points in the book that make you think about what you tend to just believe. This is one of the books that I can recommened to anybody!!! Everybody should read it, if only to expand their horizon a little.
Bentley (12/04/04)

I read the book and was inspired to draw a line from Glastonbury to the Roslin chapel and beyond out of curiosity on a road atlas of Britain. Once the line was drawn I looked up all the placenames in the index that begin with Ross, Ros or Rose. I was surprised how many fell clustered around the line I drew.
The Ark of the Covenant was featured on this weeks Richard and Judy as being connected to a Templar Chapel near Southam in Warwickshire and the local news recently covered a coded Grail plaque at Shugborough Hall in Staffordshire. Worth doing a search on if you liked the book.

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Weekenders

The Perfect Summer Escape!

Told with Mary Kay Andrews' trademark blend of humor and warmth.

Girl Waits with Gun