What readers think of Across the Nightingale Floor, plus links to write your own review.

Across the Nightingale Floor

Aug 2002, 304 pages

Jun 2003, 323 pages

There are currently 68 reader reviews for Across the Nightingale Floor

jacob

the best book in the world. if you havent read it so do it
amanda

I am 15 years old and this book ROCKS! I haven't been reading many books lately, and the books I do read were boring...but then I read Across the Nightingale Floor and fell instantly in love with it. The author describes the natural beauty of the scenery with ease and you can be completely absorb in it for hours! I recommend this book soooooo much :D
chris

I could not put this book down
Keade

this book is brilliant I have already read it over 10 times and love it to bits

It deserves more than 100%
alana

i am 12 years old and i nerver relly used read but after ''across the nightingale

floor'' all i want to do is read i can not wait for the second and thrid.

if i had to this book i would give it a 10/10++. it is a great book i recomed it to

anyone who likeswar,love and adventure.i hope the second and thrid are as good

as the first.i hope erveryone enjoys it as much as me. it's the best

CID

I first read 'Across the nightengale floor' last year in my first year of sixth form, it was intended for the year 10's, but my Lit teacher let me borrow a copy; she said i would enjoy it because of my interests. Im not a mojor reader (of books) and i useually get bored when reading and find myself struggling through the text, but this book was totally different i read a couple of pages on the bus trip home and before i knew it i was shunning T.V and computer games in favour of reading this story. I believe the book was appealing because of its imaginative mixtures of ation, drama, fantasy and romance with out being compleatly unbelievable. The author has built up the characters and their background so well that you can vividly see every aspect of world of the three countries and the clans that occupy it in your mind when your reading. You could almost believe that this work of fiction was an event that actually occured in the past of some exotic mystical land. Days after returning the book to my teacher i had bought my own copy and recently i bought a copy of 'Grass for his pillow' part 2 ot the 'tales of the Otori', which takes you even deeper into the world of 'Takeo' and the Otori.

'Across the nightengale floor' is a fantastic story that can appeal to a wide range of audiences and it would be a mistake for anyone to give it a miss.
alexandria

Absolute DITTO to all wonderful comments previously posted. I've read (and own) some of the finest fiction in various sub-genres and this volume I of 3 had mealso desperately waiting for #2. A heavy local library supporter, Nightengale Floor I bought, and ordered #2 & #3 immediately... in hardcovers (and I'm poor). And yes, I also lost sleep and chores waited, and I passed each of them to my 16-yr old daughter who held her breath, cried, exclaimed, lost sleep, as much as I did. Don't anyone stop with volume I (as if you could!), Also insist that your libraries and local bookdealer get Grass For His Pillow and Brilliance of the Moon as well. And be sure to read in sequence. Each picks up at very scene where left off. And utilize benefit of Cast of Characters, it helps.

If you loved this, a slightly more difficult find but oh-so-well worth the effort (avail in paperback from Random House) is "Bridge of Birds - A Novel of An Ancient China That Never Was" by Barry Hughart... think a has-been Charlie Chan meets Crouching Tigen, Hidden Dragon in the 7-Seas of Sinbad, written with incredible tenderness and humor and excitement. Another sleep-loser. And if you say you're never moved to laugh out loud or cry while reading, test this one. For me, it set a standard for Tales of the Otori to match, and they did.
Robban

Incredible book. I love this kind of books, really close to "Harry Potter" and J.R.R Tolkiens triology. But this book is even better. Hughe landsqapes that turn on your wildest fantasy.

Join and Save 20%!

by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Dinosaurs
    by Lydia Millet

"Tender but never sentimental, wearing its intelligence in a low-slung style, Dinosaurs is a garden of earthly delights."—Vogue

W N, W Not

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B