Reader reviews and comments on Juliet, plus links to write your own review.

by Anne Fortier

Juliet by Anne Fortier X
Juliet by Anne Fortier

Aug 2010, 464 pages
    Jul 2011, 464 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Juliet

Dorothy T. (04/20/11)

Great fun!
This novel has suspense, intrigue, romance, and more twists and turns than the underground of Siena! Anne Fortier has a gift for the genre and a skill with words.
Baba (08/25/10)

Pass on this book! Or at least 1/2 of it!!
I truly wanted to like this book, really I did! Especially with comparisons to The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. And the premise was interesting, involving a woman who discovers she is related to the Juliet made famous in Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, alternating between Siena, Italy in 1340 and the present day. However, I found the storyline set in 1340 so much more interesting than the storyline set in the present day. The author obviously did her research in writing about Siena, Italy, and the landmarks located there. But there were too many "coincidences" for me to even pretend to believe the modern day storyline. I tried to suspend my disbelief and really tried to get caught up in the twists the book took but it just didn't grab me. Adieu Juliet, parting is such sweet sorrow! (Not really!)
Shirley F. (Franksville, WI) (08/08/10)

Juliet has it all!
It's hard to believe that this is a debut novel. The characters are so well developed, the plot is engaging and believable and the essence of Siena and the Contraldos are inherently a part of the story. I loved going between contemporary Julie and 14th century Julietta and never thought that the story actually took place in Siena - I even visited the famed balcony in Verona! The author had just the right amount of history, romance, mystery and secrets to keep me interested and to keep my mind working to unravel the secrets. Romeo and Juliet is probably Shakespeare's most easily accessible play, and Juliet by Ann Frazier is, in my mind, the most interesting look at the development of that story.
Rita K. (Bannockburn, IL) (08/07/10)

Juliet by Anne Fortier
I knew I would like this book when I read it was on the scale of The Thirteenth Tale. 'Juliet' was very intriguing, the way Fortier kept switching back and forth between centuries really kept my interest. Didn't want to put it down. Definitely will recommend to my two book clubs as I know they will thoroughly enjoy the book too.
Kathy S. (Coral Gables, FL) (08/04/10)

Gets better and better
I have to admit, when I first starting reading, I thought I had it figured out and was going to be bored for the rest of the book. I was WRONG ... I liked being surprised with new facts throughout the book, and especially since not pulled out of thin air, just to make the story work. The more I read the more I wanted to continue to read to see what was coming up next. It was a great mix of going back in time back to current time. Both stories on their own we very engrossing, together make it a very good book, which I will be recommending.
Diane H. (San Diego, CA) (08/02/10)

Juliet
Anne Fortier's new twist on the old Romeo and Juliet story is a winner. In the style of Deborah Crombie, Fortier weaves two stories, seemingly hundreds of years apart, and brings them together at the end in an unexpected way. With likable characters and a compelling mystery, it is easy to stay up way past bedtime lost in Fortier's worlds.
Mary S. (Onley, VA) (07/30/10)

Juliet
Juliet will be a great hand-sell for us -- it will appeal to our customers who are looking for romance, adventure, mystery and/or history. It's Shakespeare (with all his drama and intrigue) and Indiana Jones (romance and adventure) all rolled into one enticing summer read. These days it seems many of our customers just want to fall into a good book -- this is just the book.
Kendra R. (New Orleans, LA) (07/25/10)

Love, mystery & history
The telling of the original story of "Romeo & Juliet" was riveting despite knowing the sad ending, and the current day mystery and love story were captivating as well. The interactions of the current day sisters were sometimes awkward, but a small flaw in a larger story. A great read!

The Appeal of Doomed Lovers

• Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us
    The Wife Between Us
    by Sarah Pekkanen, Greer Hendricks
    The Wife Between Us is an intriguing collaboration between first-time novelist Greer Hendricks and ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us