Reader reviews and comments on Juliet, plus links to write your own review.

by Anne Fortier

Juliet by Anne Fortier X

Aug 2010, 464 pages
    Jul 2011, 464 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Juliet

Norma R. (secaucus, NJ) (07/25/10)

"Juliet" by Anne Fortier is an enjoyable re-telling of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet"story. Julie Jacobs travels to Italy to solve the mystery of her family history in Siena, Italy. The novel switches between present day and Siena in the 1300's. The story moves along quickly and there are many twists and turns to keep the reader interested. The two stories are told in parallel and both plots dovetail.
Sharon V. (Chicago, IL) (07/20/10)

Family rivalries, Italian history, love, betrayal and suspense all play a role in this elegantly penned novel based upon Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

Julie, aka Giulietta, travels to Siena, Italy and finds herself embroiled in an age-old feud between two of Sienna's most prominent families. Her search for truth and hidden treasure take her back to the year 1340 AD where the world of medieval legends come alive.

The scenes are rich with Italian flavor although somewhat drawn out and the characters seem pulled from a fairy tale rather than developed from within. All in all, though, a full-bodied tale of which the Bard would be proud.
Colleen T. (Lakewood, CO) (07/20/10)

Juliet by Anne Fortier
This was an incredible novel. It has an excellent story and character development. I really could not put the book down, I so wanted to find out what happened next. There are enough twists and turns in the plot to keep anyone interested and the characters are very vibrant and complex. I will give this five stars because this book was FUN! Thanks Anne Fortier.
Jean N. (New Richmond, OH) (07/19/10)

I wouldn't call this book a literary standout. But, I would say that I thought it had an entertaining, imaginative plot with many surprising twists. The chapters, alternating between the 1300's and the present day, gave an interesting change of pace. I'd classify this as a good book to take on vacation, not to be taken too seriously, but to be enjoyed. I can see this book appealing to older teens as well as adult readers.
Kathrin C. (Corona, CA) (07/14/10)

A Thoroughly Magical Read
Wow - Juliet is one of those amazing debut novels you will be so glad you that did not pass up! This quest-filled historical romance has a shining combination of magic, mystery and romance all told with scintillating humor and contemporary zing!
Laura Q. (West Chester, PA) (07/13/10)

Juliet by Anne Fortier
I loved this book ! I could not put it down. It had all the elements I look for in a good book- romance, mystery, surprises at every turn. I loved the connection to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Ms. Fortier brought us back and forth between 1340 and the present, without confusing the reader. This book reminded me of the style and historic references of Dan Brown's DaVinci Code. I will absolutely tell all my friends to read this book.
Kelly Z. (Belchertown, MA) (07/12/10)

Juliet by Anne Fortier
Anne Fortier’s debut novel certainly satisfied this most loyal 'Romeo and Juliet' fan. Captivated before finishing the third chapter, I eagerly and effortlessly followed “Julie” through Siena, Italy, as she searched for clues to her family's legendary secret. I don’t know whether it was the historically accurate facts, pleasantly cunning characters, or richly developed plot, but, I was turning pages into the wee hours of the morning to discover every last piece of this magnificent puzzle. I will never read 'Romeo and Juliet' the same way again.
Prella M. (Lafayette, IN) (07/12/10)

Fortier hooked me from the first page. She combined mystery, adventure, and romance with history to make a tale that I would recommend to anyone but particularly to people interested in Italy, history, Shakespeare or even mystery lovers. My next trip will be to Siena.

The Appeal of Doomed Lovers