Reader reviews and comments on Juliet, plus links to write your own review.

Juliet

by Anne Fortier

Juliet

Aug 2010, 464 pages
    Jul 2011, 464 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Juliet

Deanna W. (Port Jefferson, NY) (07/12/10)

So little time
So many books - so little time. Life is too short to waste on this historic romantic thriller. I requested this book because it took place in one of my favorite cities Siena. Yes, the descriptions of the city are wonderful. However, this Da Vinci "want to be" is filled with a predictable plot and cliche characters. Skip this one.
New Orleans Reader (07/11/10)

All-night read
I loved this book! Juliet of ancient Siena and Juliet of the 21st come to life in Fortier's skillful writing. She takes an old story, adds some new ideas and some interesting plot points, and creates a wonderful new scenario for the doomed lovers. I stayed up all night to finish the over 400 pages in one session because I couldn't stop. I had to know what happened!
Glenn H. (Las Vegas, NV) (07/11/10)

Juliet - doesn't disappoint!
Whether it was purely Fortier's story telling power or my love of all things Shakespeare, Italy and ghostly - 3 Chapters in and I was hooked! As the story unfolded and switched between present day and ancient Siena I couldn't turn the pages quick enough to find out what twist the story would take next - none of which were even remotely predictable. Definitely a must read for anyone with a love of history, literature and suspense!
Rachel D. (Leominster, MA) (07/10/10)

JULIET
This book was a great read. Descriptions of Italy were wonderful and the plot was engrossing. An interesting story about Romeo and Juliet all though it did stretch the imagination.
Joanne H. (Waconia, MN) (07/08/10)

Juliet, an alternative origin to the tale of Romeo and Juliet
A good read. The plot is intriguing and quite well developed. The writing is generally good, but not great literature. Characters are fairly well realized and interesting. Setting is nicely described. There is clumsiness with language at times, reading like a trashy romance, and suggestive of an editor who fell short. There is nothing thought provoking in this novel.

If you want an enjoyable beach read, "Juliet" would be a reasonable choice.
Stephanie W. (Hudson, OH) (07/06/10)

A real page-turner!
Juliet was an exciting read from the beginning. Each time the action shifted from present day to 1340 or back, I was disappointed at leaving the story I was engrossed in, but within a page was just as lost in the other story. Ms Fortier takes the well-known elements of Romeo and Juliet and weaves them into an entirely new tale that keeps the reader guessing and wanting more and even manages a surprising ending!
Debra V. (Kenosha, WI) (07/06/10)

A DaVinci Code type novel
A Da Vinci Code type novel about the star crossed lovers who were the inspiration for Romeo & Juliet. The writing style was good, but the book was too long and some of the characters were unnecessary. It will appeal to the type of book club that reads current best sellers. It was good enough to finish, but not good enough to read again!
Shirley L. (Norco, LA) (07/06/10)

Juliet by Anne Fortier
The basic concept of this novel, that a modern protagonist is somehow connected to characters in a classic piece of literature, is not exactly original. However, Fortier succeeds with an excellent telling of this tale of a spirited descendant of the historical Juliet. With chapters alternating between present day events and those of 14th century Siena, the writing is smart, the plot complex and believable, and the characters multi-faceted and delightfully human. This book is a fine example of historical fiction at its best.

The Appeal of Doomed Lovers

One Month Free Membership

Underground Airlines
    by Ben Winters

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

This Must Be the Place