Read what people think about The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa, and write your own review.

The Travelling Cat Chronicles

Oct 23, 2018

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Travelling Cat Chronicles

Therese X. (Calera, AL)

Have Cat Will Travel and Find Much Wisdom
A smart, street-wise cat with no name learns that his best "home" is on the hood of a silver van near an apartment complex, warmed by the sun and owned by a human named Saturo Myawaki. The young man calls him "Mr. Cat", bringing him treats and chatting, unaware that this cat is observing the human's world and philosophizing to himself on cat life in general. One evening, a careless driver knocks the cat for a loop and with a broken leg he hobbles howling toward the apartment complex. Saturo hears the howling and rushes down to take care of his new friend as he heals, and naming him "Nana" after the shape of his cat tail in the form of a Chinese seven. He adopts Nana and they live in harmony for a quite a while, but eventually Saturo has to be on the move, and they head out in the silver van. Riding along, music playing, Nana's thoughts are do a running commentary on Saturo's choice of music, his own philosophy of life and his partial curiosity about humans as they flash past them on the road.

At one point in their companionable trip, they meet up with Saturo's former school friends. Nana has travelled far with his owner and met two other friends who have quite a history together—and they like cats. Saturo's friends have been through family problems and and tragedy, but the friendships are an intriguing part of the overall story. The ongoing travel always includes continuing mental commentary by the eminent and humorously droll Nana who also takes time to teach a young, orange kitten how to fight! This treasure of a book was well worth sharing the journey of Saturo and his beloved cat and learning the value of old friends as well as learning new life lessons. There are reasons to feel sad when the novel ends, but there truly is no end because the story is filled with hope and worth a reread to keep the feeling going.
Carolyn L. (Summerville, SC)

Satoru and Nana
I enjoyed this book very much. It started a little slowly for me, but I was soon drawn in by the relationship between Satoru and his cat Nana, and Nana's perky personality. We see the pair visiting several of his old friends, and we learn how Satoru's thoughtfulness has had a lasting effect in different ways on each of them. This novel beautifully expresses the mutual love many of us experience with our pets. A sweet and gentle read.
Carol N. (Indian Springs Village, AL)

The Tao of Traveling Cats
I loved this book from the beginning, but I am probably biased because of my love for cats. They are so intelligent and yes, loving, and I have been blessed to share my life and home with many over the years. The cat in this book, Nana, is similar to my cats with the attitude but different in the love of travel. Every time I have taken a cat in the car, you would think it was being executed. I laughed, cried and loved this book so much. Sharing the travels with this duo is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon or two.
Darcy C. (San Diego, CA)

Serenity in a Book. Terrific read!
I would give this read 8 stars if I could --what a sweet read! I generally lean towards mystery/suspense and I was looking forward to a book on the mellow side. This refreshing book totally engaged me and also tickled my cat-lady bones!

Arikawa captured Nana's personality to a "T" and this would be a spot-on gift for any cat-lover! I vicariously traveled with this duo in their silver van and was thoroughly enchanted by their success with travelling with a cat in the car. (my cat generally produces howling and caterwauling (couldn't resist) as if we are on the way to the axe-murderer's house....)

I was completely wrapped-up in the story of their journey of finding a new home for Nana; I correctly guessed the reason for their search but this did not take away from the magic of their journey and story. The last 1/4 of the book utterly surprised me. Just proving that most cats are strong-willed and impossible to impose your will upon their desires. (Any cat lover will totally understand this.)

This book was 100 enjoyable pages and was a quick read and put me in such an optimistic mood. I'd like to see more books with Nana The Cat; I'm a fan for all nine of Nana's lives! Meow.
Mark O. (Wenatchee, WA)

A Book for Your Travel Kit
The Travelling Cat Chronicles is of the small genre of in-the-mind-of-an-animal fiction: dogs, rabbits, or (in this book) a cat (Nana). Nana's human (Satoru) and Nana embark on a road trip across Japan, the past and the future bumping into each other at their stopovers. Even as a dog person, I bonded with Nana. One of the essential functions of fiction is to be a flight simulator, allowing us to experience life's joys and exigencies in advance and so be readier for reality. I'm grateful to have gone with Satoru and Nana on their trip. I have their story in my travel kit.
Laurie W. (Sunnyvale, CA)

For cats and their humans
I read Paul Gallico's "The Silent Miaow" many years ago and loved hearing about the world from a cat's perspective, so I was excited to get an ARC copy of "The Travelling Cat Chronicles." It did not disappoint. At first it seemed like a lighthearted adventure, a young man (Satoru) and his adopted stray cat (Nana) drive around Japan in a van visiting friends from Satoru's past, looking for one who is able to adopt Nana. Along the way we learn about relationships, friendships, and family. The love that Satoru has for Nana is obvious, so we spend much of the book wondering, along with Nana, why Satoru feels he needs to find Nana another home. As we and Nana near the end of the story and learn the truth, the tale becomes poignant and heartrending. Cat lovers and anyone who has experienced the special bond between a human and their pet will appreciate this touching story.
Mary W. (Altadena, CA)

The Travelling Cat Chronicles
This is a perfect read for the summer. The flavor of the book is mellow, and show paced. This is not to say it is boring. Far from it. The characters are well rounded and believable. The cat who is the narrator is a bit too opinionated for my tastes. But then again, it reflects the personality of most cats. Cats have always made me think they are smarter than we give them credit. A perfect book for pet lovers, especially lovers of cats.
Sandra C. (Rensselaer, NY)

Charming read
As an animal lover the relationship with Satoru and his cat was very real and meaningful. The way the author introduced all of the important people in Satoru's life enabled the reader to be aware of the life he led and how these people intersected in his life.

• Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...

The Removes by Tatjana Soli

A powerful, transporting novel about the addictive intensity and freedom of the American frontier.

French Exit
    by Patrick deWitt

A brilliant and darkly comic novel from bestselling author Patrick deWitt.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter