What readers think of The Travelling Cat Chronicles, plus links to write your own review.

The Travelling Cat Chronicles

by Hiro Arikawa, Philip Gabriel

The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa, Philip Gabriel X
The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa, Philip Gabriel

• Published:
    Oct 2018, 288 pages

There are currently 40 reader reviews for The Travelling Cat Chronicles

Loretta F. (Fountain Inn, SC)

A Unique Journey
The Travelling Cat Chronicles begins as a simple story relating the devotion between a man and a stray cat. What makes this story different is that it's told from the cat's perspective. Satoru, a Japanese man, and Nana, his cat embark on a journey to see the countryside, and to visit old friends. Throughout the journey, Nana shares his thoughts about Satoru, his friends, and other animals. I really enjoyed Nana's often sarcastic remarks about humans and other animals. Not surprisingly, he clearly believed cats to be superior to dogs in every way.

Yet, along with this simple story are life lessons to ponder. Kindness, gentleness, loyalty to friends, and love for family are evident in Satoru's well-lived life. Although he doesn't have an easy life, he is never bitter about the losses he suffered.

Animal lovers and those who enjoy a slower paced read would enjoy this book.
Bobbi L. (Canton, GA)

Traveling Cat Chronicles
To begin with, I am a dyed in the wool animal lover with a preference for small dogs so it was easy to fall in love with Nana. Before I started I was aware that there would be moments of great sadness as every animal book includes this emotion. I loved Nana speaking in the first person format, was different and very interesting. I loved ALL of the characters but found a surprising closeness with Noriko. In the book she went through many moods and was a deep thinker but also a loner. I believe this story reflects much love and respect for human and animal life.
I think this book is excellent but doubt a non animal lover would find it has special.
Carol R. (Pembroke, MA)

The Travelling Cat Chronicles
One of those books to be treasured.
This book was about an unforgettable journey taken through the eyes of Nana the cat. The protagonist Saturo had a best friend that walked beside him on four legs.
I loved this book - who wouldn't?
Loren B. (Appleton, WI)

Touching
This beautiful and bittersweet novel, which in some ways reminded me of " A Man Called Ove ", immediately held my attention. The touching story is mostly narrated by the human character's cat and I think the author truly captured the essence of a cat's personality.

I would highly recommend this book, especially for pet lovers and those going through a life's journey.
Portia A. (Monroe Township, NJ)

A Simple Joy
I loved this book...a simple story that made me laugh and cry. A man and the stray cat who adopted each other. A must read for any animal person.
Freya H. (Towanda, PA)

TheTravelling Cat Chronicles
This is a book for anyone who loves an animal and is devoted to its well being. Sad, but ultimately satisfying, as it confirms the loyalty and love between Satoru and Nana. Any book group who is made up of animal lovers would find this interesting to discuss.
Susan B. (Rutledge, MO)

heartwarming, and heartbreaking
I love cats and travel, and greatly enjoyed my one trip to Japan years ago, so I truly enjoyed much of this book. I particularly appreciated the sections depicting the story from the cat's perspective, which I found touching and hilarious (despite my usual discomfort with the anthropomorphization of animals). I found the subject matter personally difficult, but do not how to say more without spoilers. I do wish I had known the major plot twist before reading, as I would likely have chosen to not read it at this time, as that issue is fresh in my own life. Cover text calls the story heartwarming, which it surely is, but for me at this time it was heartbreaking as well. Despite that, I'm still glad to have read it.
Peggy K. (San Diego, CA)

Cats and Friends
A delightful collection of stories that will entertain all pet lovers. While these stories all involve a cat they also give us a deeper look into relationships with family and friends. They show how our connections with animals shape so much of our actions. Take this book with you to read on vacation or in front of a fire on a cold winter day. There is a lot of humor here but also many touching moments.

Cats in Japanese Culture

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois
    by Honorée Fannone Jeffers
    Honorée Fannone Jeffers' The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois explores the Black experience in ...
  • Book Jacket: Unlikely Animals
    Unlikely Animals
    by Annie Hartnett
    Though Everton, New Hampshire, the town in Annie Hartnett's Unlikely Animals, is fictional, it ...
  • Book Jacket: Shadows of Berlin
    Shadows of Berlin
    by David R. Gillham
    David R. Gillham's latest novel, Shadows of Berlin, opens in New York City in 1955. Rachel, a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Trust
    Trust
    by Hernan Diaz
    Hernan Diaz's Trust is a work of fiction that is itself comprised of four very different works ...

The Book Woman's Daughter
by Kim Michele Richardson
A mesmerizing and beautifully rendered tale of strong women, bravery, and resilience.

Metropolis
    by B. A. Shapiro

"An ingeniously plotted hybrid social/suspense novel. Shapiro hits it out of the park."
    Shelf Awareness

A truly good book teaches me better than to read it...

T S's T Limit