What readers think of The Travelling Cat Chronicles, plus links to write your own review.

The Travelling Cat Chronicles

Oct 2018, 288 pages

There are currently 40 reader reviews for The Travelling Cat Chronicles

Susan S. (Salida, CO)

Superb pet lover appeal!
If you ever thought about cats and longevity and belonging, this is the book for you. As you move thru life, we will all take a few unexpected turns along the road. This lovely book is about some of those turns. The companion of the cat visits friends from his past and learns more about himself, about his friends and about his cat along the way. As more and more of the trip is revealed, his insights will have universal appeal for pet owners of all kinds. It has a slightly exotic feel with the Japanese setting and is more intriguing because of it. Loved it!
Candace F. (Lincoln, NE)

Touching and Memorable
I consider myself more of a dog-lover than a cat-lover with that being said, I am definitely an animal lover. The Traveling Cat Chronicles is a very touching, bittersweet, all about "life" story written through the eyes of a cat. The book is at times funny but as you travel with Satoru and his cat and life companion, Nana, on their life adventure you meet friendship, boundless love, and courage. This is one of those books that the author writes to make the story come alive and leaves you pondering over the many aspects of it for many days or weeks to come. Don't miss this one if you enjoy a fun, heartwarming book. I highly recommend it!
Rose N. (Saginaw, MI)

Must-read for Cat Lovers
This delightful story made me laugh at times and then made me shed a few tears. Nana, the wise independent street cat, becomes attached to gentle Satoru who cares for him after he is injured by a car. Satoru tries to find a new home for Nana with various friends but Nana has his own agenda.

This novel not only honors the relationships between humans and their friends but also between humans and their pets. This is a heartwarming tale with several unforgettable characters, fine descriptive passages of the Japanese landscape, and a feisty, lovable feline. Read and enjoy!
Eileen C. (New York, NY)

Love and devotion
A beautifully written, moving book about love and death. Narrated by a wise and sassy stray cat who is taken in by a kind-hearted man, it is also a story of friendship and devotion. Although the ending caused a cascade of tears, it wasn't for the usual reason pet stories bring on tears. The writing is vivid and the translation is seamless. Highly recommended.
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD)

Bitter sweet Journey
I wasn't sure what I was going to think when I received this book to review. I have to admit I had my doubts. All that quickly changed within the first 10 pages. This was a great book to read! So much soul searching and past reflection was in these pages. I wasn't sure again where this journey was going to take me and honestly I don't think I saw it coming. I can't say much more without spoiling the story for any one else who would read it.
The way the author details Saturo's life is beautiful, I felt so much a part of his journey that I never wanted it to end.
Highly suggest this to book clubs or to anyone who loves and cherishes their pets.
Claire M. (Wrentham, MA)

Cat's Eye View
The cat-human bond challenges old notions of the aloofness and even indifference of cats. In this charming tale of cat and man, each have lessons to teach and learn together. They pass their lessons on to those whose lives they touch in gentle prose to soothe the soul. Readers who seek a mindful way of living will appreciate the values reinforced in these pages. Japanese culture is full of examples of kindness to stray cats in contemporary life and this book makes a case for respect and care for feral cats as well as pet ownership.
Sara P. (Longview, WA)

The Travelling Cat Chronicles
This is a lovely story narrated by a cat and set in Japan. Through the cat's eyes the reader gets to know Satoru, the cat's owner; as a young boy, then as an adult. Satoru and the cat travel around Japan to visit all his friends so it becomes a journey of life. Friendship and loyalty are important themes seen from the cat's point of view which adds depth to the story.
Ariel F. (Madison, WI)

Love between human and feline is forever!
I was very happy to receive the ARC of the book. First, let me say that despite dander allergies I am a cat lover. I could so much relate to the interaction between the human and Nana.I was not sure that I was going to like the format but did. I felt that the story shows the love
between human beings and felines. How animals can be your soul mates and help you thru trying times so much so that you do not want to let them go. And when you must, you want to make certain it is a good environment. This is also the story of loving and forgiving. Definitely recommend book for feline lovers as well as animal lovers.

Cats in Japanese Culture

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Unlikely Animals
    Unlikely Animals
    by Annie Hartnett
    Though Everton, New Hampshire, the town in Annie Hartnett's Unlikely Animals, is fictional, it ...
  • Book Jacket: Shadows of Berlin
    Shadows of Berlin
    by David R. Gillham
    David R. Gillham's latest novel, Shadows of Berlin, opens in New York City in 1955. Rachel, a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Trust
    Trust
    by Hernan Diaz
    Hernan Diaz's Trust is a work of fiction that is itself comprised of four very different works ...
  • Book Jacket: Let's Not Do That Again
    Let's Not Do That Again
    by Grant Ginder
    We have all dealt with inescapable, insufferable family members at some point, and the ones who say ...

Oh William!
by Elizabeth Strout
Pulitzer Prize winner Elizabeth Strout explores the mysteries of marriage and the secrets we keep.

Metropolis
    by B. A. Shapiro

"An ingeniously plotted hybrid social/suspense novel. Shapiro hits it out of the park."
    —Shelf Awareness

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world...

T S's T Limit