MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on In My Hands, plus links to write your own review.

Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer

by Irene Gut Opdyke

Aug 1999, 276 pages
    Apr 2001, 304 pages

There are currently 43 reader reviews for In My Hands

Joseph Puccio (06/01/07)

In My Hands
(This is a complete book review I wrote)

“You must understand that I did not become a resistance fighter, a smuggler of Jews, a defier of the Secret Service and the Nazis all at once. One’s first step is always small: I had begun by hiding food under a fence.” Irene Gut was only seventeen when the war began. And as it progressed, she was parted from her four sisters and parents. And so she began to fight back. After being captured and interrogated many times by the Russians and Nazi’s, she was forced to work for German officers in a dinning hall. Irene eavesdropped on the Nazi’s plans, and passed the information to the Jews in the ghetto. She smuggled people from a near by work camp into the forest, saving countless lives. And when she was made housekeeper of a Nazi major, she successfully hid twelve Jews in the basement of his home until the Germans defeat. And throughout the book, she would always put her friends safety, before her own. And finally when the war was over she was given hope, someone to love and trust, but soon after they were killed by the Nazi soldiers. Nevertheless, continued risking her life, for what was right. And proved that one person can really make a difference. I absolutely loved this book, and would recommend it to anyone ages ten and up who enjoys adventure.
Elizabeth Cantrell (05/06/07)

Irene Gutowana
This book was excellent, it really got you to think of what all happened in the Holocaust. If you think you cannot accomplish great things, read this book. Irene is proof that you CAN make a difference
Rachel Held (03/12/07)

good
I loved this book. This is the first book thatI have sat down and not put the book down for a very long time. It was great.
Dane Mehrhoff (02/26/05)

This book made me think about what went on in the past and how much of a hero Irene was, she was a strong woman after seeing all in her life and being able to tell people young and old,she is a hero and will be no matter if she has passed away...........a hero for people all around that want to stand up for what they believe in.
Shanks (02/14/05)

it was terrific!! it gives you a lot of info on the Holocaust. it was interenting ang i could not put it down.
Tia (02/09/05)

This book has such a great message overall. It is so descriptive, it makes you laugh and cry with her. It is a great book.
j (01/30/05)

it was a typical holocuast book and theres nothing that special about it because she herself didnt go through that much horror she was a waitress for the germans WHILE HER FAMILY AND FRIENDS WERE DYING!! she had it good
Ashlee (12/01/04)

The book was great. It was very detailed when it told about certain parts of the book. I love it. I am not one to read but i actually stopped everything i was doing to read the book.

• Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo

A Certain Age
    by Beatriz Williams

The Roaring Twenties comes to life in this tale of intrigue, romance, and scandal.

If I Forget You
    by Thomas Christopher Greene

A haunting tale of lost love from the critically acclaimed author of The Headmaster's Wife.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Knowledge is of two kinds...

C To T Q