Reader reviews and comments on The Lost Man, plus links to write your own review.

The Lost Man

by Jane Harper

The Lost Man by Jane Harper X
The Lost Man by Jane Harper

Feb 2019, 320 pages
    Jan 14, 2020, 368 pages

There are currently 39 reader reviews for The Lost Man

A Western for those who don’t read Westerns
I read this book earlier in the year when it came out in hardback. I can’t remember what caused me to be interested, but my records show I actually bought it on my Kindle. Something or someone’s review must have convinced me to try it! I really do not like Westerns and I would at least partially classify this novel as a Western novel, albeit set in Australia. The mystery of the story was great, well-plotted and intense. I couldn’t stop reading. And the descriptions of the landscape were amazing. I frequently found myself stopping to imagine the landscape and the vast distances described by comparing them to distances more familiar to me. Overall a great read and I’ll be looking for more by this author.
Mbeggs

Family secrets
The author took you to the Outback and introduced a family to the reader. Then slowly and intricately showed you their flaws and how they each handled their life situation. The suspense carried you to the end. Read with a tall glass of water. Well done!
Barry E. (Margate City, NJ)

Five star book
This was very different from Harper's first book which I realized received rave reviews despite my less than enthusiastic review. This book on the other hand was terrific, although I feel labeling it a mystery is not right. This in a true sense is a novel about a dysfunctional family, despite Harper's attempt to make it out to be a mystery by providing many twists and turns.

Writing again about Australia again, Harper gives us great insight to a large desolate area of the Outback region. Life was hard, the people were hard, and misery was around every corner.

Her prologue lead us on into the search for a reason why anybody would live there.

We meet the Bright family, an almost successful ranching family, and as their story unravels we cover many modern and varied issues from child abuse, spousal abuse, divorce, suicide and depression. Five stars from me, a must read.
Ann B. (Kernville, CA)

Character-driven mystery braided into Outback family saga
This crime novel set in the Australian outback has elements of a typical mystery, but it's the conventions it lacks that make it so satisfying. Our protagonist, for example, is not a PI, cop, or otherwise typical gumshoe character. Rather, he is a member of the family. While The Lost Man is a slow-burning thriller, it is also an emotion- and character-driven family saga. I will be reading Jane Harper's The Dry ASAP.
Sue P. (Albuquerque, NM)

The Lost Man
When I saw Jane Harper's third novel as a "First Impressions" choice, I was thrilled. Having just finished her 1st and 2nd novels, I knew I was in for a treat.
Ms. Harper has a talent for describing people and locations in such a way that one gets inside the heads of her flawed, and so very human, characters, and by the time I finished the book I actually felt dehydrated by the searing Australian heat.
Three brothers - the middle one dead - in circumstances that suggest suicide, but as family relations and secrets come to light, the suspicions and doubts begin to grow.
Meara Conner

Lost Man by Jane Harper Review
Over the past several years, Jane Harper has made a name for herself in the crime fiction genre with her superb Aaron Falk series. I'm glad to say that Harper's third novel, Lost Man, does not disappoint! The plot was engaging, the locale provocative, and the characters memorable. I thoroughly enjoyed it and cannot wait to see what she does next!
Betsy H. (LeRoy, NY)

Hard to put down
If you're familiar with Jane Harper's previous novels, this stand-alone is very similar in style and set up. The story starts with a dead body and leads us to a full cast of characters/suspects. As with The Dry and Forces of Nature, the Australian outback becomes a character itself. The descriptions of the landscape and climate bring an extra layer of bleakness and urgency to the story that keep the pages turning faster and faster.
Mary O. (Boston, MA)

Engrossing
I loved this mystery as it embodies intense, powerful suspense set against the backdrop of remote Western Australia. It delves into how our childhoods define our family lives in the present. A page turner that you do not want to put down!!

Cattle Ranching in Australia

• Book Jacket: Your House Will Pay
    Your House Will Pay
    by Steph Cha
    Steph Cha's novel Your House Will Pay shows how a legacy of violence and injustice can ripple ...
  • Book Jacket: Divide Me By Zero
    Divide Me By Zero
    by Lara Vapnyar
    Divide Me By Zero begins with an encounter between the narrator, Katya Geller, a 40-something mother...
  • Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...
  • Book Jacket: The Seine
    The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino
    Of the 24 members who reviewed Elaine Sciolino's The Seine: The River that Made Paris for BookBrowse...

Nothing to See Here
    by Kevin Wilson

A moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning caring for two children with remarkable abilities.

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D