Reader reviews and comments on The Lost Man, plus links to write your own review.

by Jane Harper

The Lost Man by Jane Harper X
The Lost Man by Jane Harper

Feb 2019, 320 pages
    Jan 14, 2020, 368 pages

There are currently 39 reader reviews for The Lost Man

Eliana S. (Biltmore Lake, NC)

The Lost Man
This book took me to a place I've never been, the outback of Australia; and inside a family of interesting individuals. There are many stories where place is not particularly important to the story. That's not the case here. Place is very significant to this story, and the author provides a vivid description of the landscape and how it affects the circumstances and the fate of the characters. There is a line near the end of the book — "The funeral had opened the gates." For me,that's really what this book is about. It is about how the death of a family member can affect every living member of the family. Not only dealing with grief and missing, but it can manifest the complications of the relationships within the family members who remain. It can trickle down from the oldest member of the family to the youngest, affecting them in different ways and for different reasons. Harboring family secrets can be very stressful. Confronting them can be very healing. This is a great read and there are many opportunities for discussion in this book. I would definitely recommend it for book clubs.
Kim L. (Park Ridge, IL)

Beautiful Setting
This book was a page-turner from the start. The author beautifully depicts the outback, her descriptions made me feel I was there. But the story moved along too slowly for me, and I was a bit disappointed with the ending.
Sara P. (Longview, WA)

The Lost Man
I thought this was a rather slow moving mystery. The main character was very well developed so the story was mainly about him and the mystery was secondary so as a reader I got impatient with trying to figure out what the crime was really about. It did have a very satisfying ending for the main character once I got there.
Carolyn S. (Kennesaw, GA)

The Lost Man
The Lost Man is a exciting story full of suspense and mystery. It tells the story of a family in the outback of Australia. It is so well written that you can develop a picture in your mind of the way it would look and feel. I would especially recommend this book for discussion as it has a lot of nuanced details.
Mimi S. Rochester NY

Very readable!
After reading Ms Harper's "The Dry", I looked forward to reading "The Lost Man"... and I wasn't disappointed. I love the way the author writes! There are no loose ends. The story and the characters are sharply honed. The story took me in so I finished the book in 2 days. It's an easy but intelligent read.
Linda S. (Tucker, GA)

An Exciting Read!
From the very first page, the suspense created in The Lost Man by Jane Harper, drew me in, and carefully crafted clues dropped like breadcrumbs kept me turning the pages. Harper is a great storyteller, so I also enjoyed her other two books, but somehow this one resonated more with me. The story is about a dead man, his family, and secrets well-kept. Told from the POV of Nathan, the titular lost man, the storyline flows just right, the characters, including the Australian Outback, are realistic, and the ending is believable and very satisfying. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a suspenseful tale, well told.

That the book would benefit from a good editor is my only caveat. Thankfully, sentences like, "It was pitch black out there now. Above, Nathan could already make out the first few stars," are few: stars do not "come out" – they are there to see when it is dark enough. Perhaps that is also true of family secrets.
Richard N. (Bluffton, SC)

The Lost Man
I felt like I was slogging thru the mud for the first 50 pages. Nonetheless the pages were crucial to the book.

The mystery was well written with false and true clues along the way.

Xander, Isle, Mum and Harry stood out as developed and likeable characters. Brandon with 10 years alone in the outback less so---but then what else could you expect.

The outback living conditions were vivid and realistic.

The artwork of the grave site seemed "overworked".

Cattle Ranching in Australia

• Book Jacket: The Price We Pay
    The Price We Pay
    by Marty Makary
    The Hippocratic Oath is one of the oldest affidavits in history, originating in ancient Greece. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Fountains of Silence
    The Fountains of Silence
    by Ruta Sepetys
    The Spanish Civil War and its aftermath was a complicated period in history. The issues each side ...
  • Book Jacket: Curious Toys
    Curious Toys
    by Elizabeth Hand
    In Curious Toys, Elizabeth Hand tells the story of Vivian, a 14-year-old girl disguised as a boy ...
  • Book Jacket: Your House Will Pay
    Your House Will Pay
    by Steph Cha
    Steph Cha's novel Your House Will Pay shows how a legacy of violence and injustice can ripple ...

Nothing to See Here
    by Kevin Wilson

A moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning caring for two children with remarkable abilities.

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D