Reader reviews and comments on The Lost Man, plus links to write your own review.

The Lost Man

Jan 14, 2020, 368 pages

There are currently 39 reader reviews for The Lost Man

Sheryl M. (Marietta, GA)

The Lost Man by Jane Harper
Like Harper’s first two books, The Lost Man seizes the reader’s interest and doesn’t let up until the final page. It is a fast read. Ms Harper’s pacing and red herrings keep one deeply involved in the story. Set in Australia’s outback, the landscape and desolate environment are equal characters with the human participants. Rather in keeping with the setting, Harper’s prose is straightforward and offers few visual pictures or eloquent language. She more than makes up for these deficiencies by being an imaginative and believable storyteller. I highly recommend this book.

Note: This is not part of the series begun in The Dry; it is a stand-alone novel.
Joe S. (Port Orange, FL)

Jane Harper's best, so far.
When I read "The Dry'', Jane Harper's first book, I wondered how she could write another as good. She could, two more in fact. The "Lost Man" is her third novel and, in my opinion, her best. It is well written with a very interesting plot and set in a challenging locale. The characters are well developed and the story does not bog down. I really enjoyed it and can't wait for her next.
Andrea B. (Phoenix, AZ)

Transporting and engrossing
As in all good mysteries, the mystery presented at this novel’s opening seems unsolvable. Due to the unfamiliar setting, it took me awhile to grasp the significance of the crime scene details. The sense of place in this novel about the Australian outback is well done and soon had me thinking about the harsh circumstances of the geology and climate and how they were integral to the story. The sparse population adds a telling element to the desolation of the setting. The characters were all well drawn and one can begin to understand their personalities as the descriptions were eeked out bit by bit. The gradual release of past incidents is timely enough to keep one’s interest. As the story builds to a climax, the urge to neglect any pressing responsibilities grows apace. The conclusion was a shock but enough information had appeared that it was not a complete surprise. This would be a good book group book as there are many family and relationship issues to discuss. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about a part of the world and a life style that I am completely unfamiliar with. I enjoyed that background and found the mystery captivating.
Melissa R. (Green Bay, WI)

The Lost Man
I would classify this book as a "midnight" book. That is you are reading chapter after chapter because it is so good that you don't want to stop. You look up at the clock and see that it is midnight, so you say to yourself, "I'll read just one more chapter."
One of the more interesting things about this mystery is the role the setting plays in it. The story takes place in the Outback in Australia. Everything the characters do is affected by their environment which is very hot, dry, with an intense sun. Reading the Prologue will not only hook you on the story, but it will also introduce the importance of the setting in the story. I found the author's style to be very good, especially the dialogue. It was very natural. I think a book club would enjoy discussing the dilemmas that are presented here because morally there are more than one way to look at them. This is the third Jane Harper novel I have read, and I have enjoyed them all.
Terri O. (Chapel Hill, NC)

Slow-burning, atmospheric family drama
The Lost Man is a fantastic family drama/mystery that explores the consequences of both taking action and failing to do so. In the aftermath of the seeming suicide of Cameron Bright in a desolate part of the Outback, his family must come to terms with his death and what may have prompted it. Told from the point of view of Nathan, Cameron's older brother, the story slowly unfolds as Harper interweaves past and present and reveals dark family secrets. The characters and the plot are very well developed, the sense of place is palpable, and the resolution, when it finally comes, is satisfying and believable. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys layered family dramas and slow-burning mysteries. I for one can't wait for the next Jane Harper book!
Joan W. (Orion, MI)

Great Read
Jane Harper does it again. This story is about the Australian outback. Cameron is found dead by an old grave by his brothers. This is kind of past and present story of a tyrant father, a great mother, and the three brothers. Jane weaves her story in and out and makes you stay up at night reading her books; this is no exception. You will love it. I not only recommend this book but her others as well. They are all great reads.
Norman G. (Washougal, WA)

A Winner
Strong characters, riveting plot, and a honest look at life in the Australian outback make giving this book an easy 5 star recommendation. If you have the opportunity you will be richly rewarded for time spent.
Sharon G. (Chicago, IL)

The Lost Man Review
I loved this book because it drew me in immediately to the three brothers story; Nathan, Cameron and Bub. Cameron, the middle brother, is found dead on his ranch in the remote Autralian outback by the grave of the mythical and mysterious Stockman. Cameron's death leads us into the story of the lives of Nathan, Cameron and Bub, their family and the story of the Stokman. They come to life as Jane Harper weaves the past and present together so that you have a history of the family, their weaknesses and strengths and how hard it is to live in the Outback. So, at the end you wonder which of the brothers is the Lost Man or is it the Stockman who went astray.

Cattle Ranching in Australia

• Book Jacket: Your House Will Pay
    Your House Will Pay
    by Steph Cha
    Steph Cha's novel Your House Will Pay shows how a legacy of violence and injustice can ripple ...
  • Book Jacket: Divide Me By Zero
    Divide Me By Zero
    by Lara Vapnyar
    Divide Me By Zero begins with an encounter between the narrator, Katya Geller, a 40-something mother...
  • Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...
  • Book Jacket: The Seine
    The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino
    Of the 24 members who reviewed Elaine Sciolino's The Seine: The River that Made Paris for BookBrowse...

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

Ordinary Girls
    by Jaquira Díaz

Reminiscent of Tara Westover's Educate and Roxane Gay's Hunger--a memoir that reads as electrically as a novel.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D