Reader reviews and comments on The Lost Man, plus links to write your own review.

The Lost Man

Jan 14, 2020, 368 pages

There are currently 39 reader reviews for The Lost Man

Judy B. (Santa Fe, NM)

Another Australian Heart-Twisting Good Story
Three brothers, a mean father, a loving mother--put them all in a pot and cook! What do you get? A great story! This book is Jane Harper's third story that takes place in the "Outback" of Australia and it is one that keeps changing the further you read. The oldest brother is at his parents ranch with his teenage son because the middle brother has been found out in the far outback dead and his car is found a number of miles away from where he died. The youngest brother is just there! Also at the ranch is the middle brother's wife and two daughters and and the grandmother. You are told that the grandfather who is also dead was a mean son-of-a-gun to his three sons. The question is how did the middle son get to where he was found and why did he leave his car with supplies of food and water in the car and "walk" to where he was found?? Read "The Lost Son" and you will find all the answers! A fantastically good read!
Jill S. (Chicago, IL)

Character-driven and atmospheric
The Lost Man is one of those books that starts with a simmer and then ignites and becomes unputdownable. Jane Harper makes ample use of dialog to illuminate her characters -- two brothers who meet up at a fence line after their middle brother is found dead. Little by little, their back story is revealed (introducing us to wives, kids, and so forth) and they become so real they could step off the pages. The remote Australian outback comes alive as its own "character", and the desert heat and near-total isolation is palpable; the book positively radiates atmosphere. I will add this: I was not a big fan of The Dry and chose this based on the fact that it was a standalone and had some great advance buzz. To my mind, this book is MUCH better than her debut novel with an increased emphasis on the characters and less on the detective work. If psychological tension and suspense is up your alley, I would definitely recommend it.
Gina T. (natick, MA)

the lost man
From the first page I was transported to the Australian outback. A gritty, fast-paced mystery with the setting as a main character. Beautiful prose, you felt the ache, loneliness and desperation..
I was reminded that we all carry our past with us and some are more successful in moving forward than others.
The plot was not predictable and the setting unfamiliar- For those looking to read something different but well-written, this is it.
i read her first novel, The Dry which was good.This novel in my opinion, is even better. I have always been drawn to westerns and remote areas; I love reading about characters that are pushed to the extreme.I think this book would appeal to both men and women. it would be a good book club choice.
Jan T. (Leona Valley, CA)

The Lost Man
Set in the remote Australian outback The Lost Man by Jane Harper is stunningly brilliant. The outback is a significant character in this dark suspenseful mystery. You can almost feel the relentless heat and red dust. The mystery is of good and evil surrounding the murder of a brother. It is set in a family unraveling. I was captivated until the last page!
Linda P. (Orlando, FL)

Hot and Bothered
Jane Harper is a master at setting a scene. With her new book, The Lost Man, you will want to be prepared and ready to settle into living in the stark, endless and solitary desert region of Australia. You are deep in dry red dust which settles into everything including your desolate soul. This story revolves around the unexplained death of one brother at a remote desert grave marker. The lead protagonist, Nathan, is unable to accept the ruling of his brother's suicide because they were raised to survive brutal terrain and Nathan doesn't believe his brother was suicidal. Options for what occurred are limited because the only people close are family members or employees who are incapable of doing the unthinkable. However, as the story unravels, Nathan finds out there is little he knows about his brother's character and has missed a lot of clues. Although ruled a suicide, Nathan soldiers on to a shocking conclusion to this mystery. This is a well-told story so be prepared to wander in this wilderness. Jane Harper only tells her story in detail and I love it. No shortcuts, not many clues, and great character development, Ms. Harper really deserves credit for building suspense. Atmospheric, anxious, ghostly, foreboding, and fulfilling…this story checks a lot of boxes. The desert backdrop is a metaphor for people who are dried up and ready to quit, hot and bothered about daily trials and tribulations, parched for life's joys, living on the edge until they drop off. Bravo to Jane Harper for another excellent tome. 5 stars.
Frances N. (San Francisco, CA)

Even better than her first two books
I think this book will end up being one of my year's favorites. It is a complex, tension-filled tale of a family and the Australian Outback. The land is unforgiving and so are the people; both are oppressive. The ranchers live insular lives, far from neighbors, often rarely speaking to other people and when they want do speak, it's as if they don't know how to go about it. The climax and the ending are just about perfect in their surprise and justification.
For fans of her other two books, this is a stand-alone; but an off-handed remark reminds one of the other books.
Shirley T. (Comfort, TX)

The Lost Man by Jane Harper
The Lost Man is the best novel yet from Australian author, Jane Harper. Her description of the desolate desert and the extreme heat of Queensland sets the stage for an unusual and fascinating family drama. As the story unwinds from a death in the desert, the family members react to reveal sharply different characters and how they live in this harsh environment. The generational effects of living in a dysfunctional family and the events of the past in the nearest town influence how each one reacts to this death. Each person is so well described that their reactions and relationships keep the mystery totally believable and intriguing to the last page. This a "must read".
Diane D. (Mount Pleasant, SC)

Fantastic Family Saga
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Lost Man by Jane Harper. An engrossing story of three brothers growing up and living in the Australian Outback, Harper immediately draws the reader in with a death. What follows is a satisfying journey into the family's past, rife with secrets and betrayals. Harper's descriptions of the dry, vast outback will leave you thirsty! I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy a great family drama where you are invested in each and every character and enjoy some twists and turns!

Cattle Ranching in Australia

• Book Jacket: The Price We Pay
    The Price We Pay
    by Marty Makary
    The Hippocratic Oath is one of the oldest affidavits in history, originating in ancient Greece. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Fountains of Silence
    The Fountains of Silence
    by Ruta Sepetys
    The Spanish Civil War and its aftermath was a complicated period in history. The issues each side ...
  • Book Jacket: Curious Toys
    Curious Toys
    by Elizabeth Hand
    In Curious Toys, Elizabeth Hand tells the story of Vivian, a 14-year-old girl disguised as a boy ...
  • Book Jacket: Your House Will Pay
    Your House Will Pay
    by Steph Cha
    Steph Cha's novel Your House Will Pay shows how a legacy of violence and injustice can ripple ...

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

Nothing to See Here
    by Kevin Wilson

A moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning caring for two children with remarkable abilities.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D